CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: mono
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: mono Reply with quote

whats your top pick for mono????

last year i used bass pro shop excel and it seemed to handle fine but it was kind of stiff in my opinion. ive heard bad things about trilene and have had a few bad times with it in the past and still decided to try it again this year and figured if i didnt like it then i would use it as my "backing line". brand new boxes from this year and just playing around between the house and maybe one or two trips out and already line twist.....

sooo whats the next brand i should be looking towards?

while at it i was going to go with the 100% flurocarbon trilene; from what a few have said its a good line for drop shotting... anyone have other brands that they've had better luck with?
brennan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw the BPS excel and like it alot...I bought a 15,000 yard spool of 12lb so i will be using it for a while....I find that I need to respool every 2 weeks with mono....Once that stuff sits in the rod locker in the heat for a few weeks, it gets stiff and brittle.....but hey, price is right for respooling....I'm gonna hit some up in 17lb for spinners and stuff.....
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep my rods in my bedroom when they're not in use so heat isn't a problem. i don't have a boat or anywhere to keep them ready to go so everything gets moved as needed. the excel wasn't bad in my opinion; i still have some spooled from last year and have been throwing jigs for the past few days on break just playing around and its still fine. i had some 8lb on one rod i spooled on and that started twisting up however so i don't know. a friend of mine swears by the xps line and has been using the same pack for 3yrs now; he doesnt fish as often but when he does he still doesnt have problems.

if im entering a tournament i like to re-spool so buying large spools like the bass pro does come in handy for the price
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: