CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Rockville Elks, Class act bunch of Men and Women.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikingned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Rockville Elks, Class act bunch of Men and Women. Reply with quote

Sorry for the late post, but I've been busy and recooping...

I sent an email to the Elks club a couple days before the ice derby they sponsered at Crystal Lake.

I have been a regular there, for their yearly ice derby, but last two years no ice. I was happy to see plenty of ice this year, but I was affraid a little to go out, seeing I am still recovering from Major Spinal Surgery, and I have to be really carefull with what I do.
Well, I wrote them and asked if someone would be willing to at least meet me at the derby and just pop open some holes for my sister and son and I. I was willing to pay them $20.00 for the derby and their help.

To my suprise, they even remembered me from past derbys, but they said no problem, just show up.

Well, we headed out at about 4:30 AM from New Britain and stopped to pick up bait at the Crystal Lake bait shop, which I would say is a very nice little bait shop and well stocked. Prices really suprised me also, very resonable.

We get to the ice and the gentalman that I had been writing to came up to me. He asked where we where parked and said hold on. He pulled up with his Quad and trailer combo. He helped load all our gear into the trailer and we all went to the sign up table. They handed me the clip board and told me to only sign up my son and sister. Come to find out, the members of the Rockville Elks, caught wind of my story at the bar and everyone chipped in and covered my entry fee. I was moved very much by this genorous offer. Instead, I spent my money on raffle tickets for two different raffles, and we went to the Elks Club after the derby and I purchased lunch for my son and sis and I.
Not only did they pay for my entry, Elks member Alan, shuttled us to my favorite spot, drilled all our holes and a few extras for jigging, and then to top it all off, Alan sort of adopted my son around 10:00 AM and had him ride around all day with him on the quad, selling raffle tickets and shuttling people in to have their catches weighed in.

At roughly 1:45PM Alan came to us, helped pack up the trailer he left with us, and shuttled us back to the truck and helped load our gear back in.

Truly, a CLASSY bunch of guys and gals, who really made me feel speical and surely helped me with my cabin fever problem. My back? Well, it did act up on me and I paid for it for a few days after, but it was all well worth it, and couldn't have been done without the help of the Elks club members.

I'll surely be back next year, to enjoy another great day on the ice with a great bunch of people.

Sincerely,

Ned and David Lessor.....& My sister Suzanne
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats cool,your son and alan came out to us .to sell tickets
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to hear, that there are still good people and organizations out there still doing the wonderful things to help people in need. Sounds like a top notch group!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigoutdoors wrote:
thats cool,your son and alan came out to us .to sell tickets

I think that was you also bigoutdoors, that was sitting backwards on the quad, and you pulled up to me and my sister and showed us the Bass and Brown trout you where heading in to weight. If not you, one of your fishing partners. David was driving Very Happy Really just sitting in front of Allen on the gas tank, but he sure made it sound like he was driving, when we got home and he told his mother about it all...

Another classy thing they did, they gave back $5.00, half the entry fee, to all the kids under 16 who went to the Elks Club for lunch and to watch the big prize raffle. Just another reason I'll be back for sure and to help support such a great Club and it's outting. I hope they have a summer outting somewhere also, I'll be sure to check it out if they do.

Ned
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no,it was my budd y mike,we were at the lodge after,we were the group by the pool table,throwing darts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: