CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Jig Rod....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toptech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Jig Rod.... Reply with quote

Looking to pick up a light weight, high quaity jig rod for pitching 3/8 to 1 oz jigs(mostly 3/8 to 1/2oz). I have been looking at the Shimano Cumara. Does anyone have any advice for me. The cumaras are around $240. So I dont want to go anymore expensive than that. But if someone knows something thats comparible or better than that rod for jig fishing whether it be the same price or cheaper I would love to hear your 2 cents. I will be pairing it with a new Shimano Curado 201e7 reel.

Thankyou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if anyone has a Cumara or has fished with one...Are they as good as all the customer reviews on cabelas and bass pro sops websites say they are?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant speak for the cumara in the casting aspect; (i have the 6'8" mh spin) which i use mainly for senkos.

for jigs i used a 7ft heavy clarus casting rod up until i picked up a 7ft heavy crucial casting rod which i have set up for my jigs now; havent fished it much cause i got it over the winter but when the weather was getting better i went out from shore abit and loved the feel. plus its alittle cheaper that the cumara.

if you want a cheaper rod than that then the 7ft heavy clarus is a great rod as well.
toptech

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I have a buddy that fishes a crucial and he says the same thing...he loves it. Im not really tryin to go cheaper, cost isnt to much of an issue when it comes to fishin stuff as long as its within reason(I cant afford a steez...lol). I just want to do my reserch and make sure Im getting my moneys worth. If something is worth the money than I dont mind spending it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't always need to spend a ton of money to get something really nice. The Cumara line is basically a G-Loomis, and for the money, you're better off buying the Loomis because of the warranty. You can snap the rod on purpose and send it back with $50 and get a brand new one...I don't know of too many other manufacturers that have that going.

I personally have a Team AllStar Mag Worm rod that is perfect for this sort of thing. If you were to buy one today, it'd probably cost you less than half of a Cumara (model TAS 807C)...but I would suggest going to Cabellas or Bass Pro Shops to hold the various ones in your hand to see which one feels the best and has the best action for what you're looking for.

I'm not saying that the Shimano rods are bad, I have the flipping stick myself and love it, but don't go based on price or what others say. Go find a rod you like and then ask questions/opinions of people.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano has the exact same warranty guidelines as G-Loomis. Shimano actually owns G-loomis .
They even tell you to cut it up into small pieces to save on shipping.

http://www.velonews.com/article/72401
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they changed it,..the Shimano warranty was actually better than the Loomis warranty in that there was no deductable at all,..you just had to pay for shipping the broken rod,....and some stores will just hand you a new Shimano in trade for your broken one (not sure if Cabelas does that..)
Also, IMO,...you will get more for your money with the Shimano rods than similar priced loomies! I don't own one yet,..but anyone I've ever talked to LOVES their Cumara's so I am certain that you will also.

On a side note,..it seemed like just about every other pro in the Classic was using a Carrot stick this year,...and everyone I know with one of THOSE, loves it as well! Wink
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Mark you don't pay. And yes Cabelas will waranty exchange in the store. I returned a Compre rod there last year and they gave me a new one.
For casting rods I prefer Daiwa rods. Just because I broke 2 shimano rods flipping fish into the boat. you should be able to flip a 4 lb fish on a jig or flipping rod!Very Happy

All of my spinning gear is Shimano.
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did those carrot sitx sods come out, I had never seen them before this spring. I think I might get the 7'6" XXH action rod they make to use for stripers and bluefish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: carrot sticks....They came out a few years ago,..but they had production problems in the beginning and they were scarce and relatively hard to get. This last year, they have been everywhere though and like I said,..they are quite popular. I think there's a couple of different models,..medium priced and also a high-priced version.

BTW Ryan,..I don't think you really need more than a "Heavy" for stripers & blues unless you're going to be mainly tossing really big & heavy baits. I throw large Houdini's & 2 ounce swimbaits for stripers with my flipping stick which is just a Heavy and it suits them quite well.
(All the XH rods I've ever tried felt like you're fishing with a pool cue!)
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a 7' foot med. ugly stick that I build from a blank a few years back, and am happy with it. But I was lookig for a second rod to live line bunker on. any thing come to mind?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice...it has been takin deep to heart and I have looked at a lot of rods over the last couple days and was at cabelas last night looking holding and feeling out about every jig rod they had there. Didnt go home with any of them yet but I have the direction I need now.

On the live lining bunker comment it all depends on the water you fish....if your talkin about fishing the rivers where your not using a lot of wieght a heavy action should be good enough and make it fun to fish. If your talking about fishing open deep water off of a boat then you are prolly gonna want to a shorter boat rod...6 foot max prolly. Also carrot stix are extremely light and you will have a tough time finding a reel light enough with the line capacity you need that wont completely be off balance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Jig Rods Reply with quote

I use the shimano crucial 7'6". I own 2 of them. One set up with braid the other with fluoro. I have had no issues with either rod. As far as warrantyI have no issues with Shimano. I have only returned 1 rod. It was a spinning rod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: