CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT river no wake
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tmac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: CT river no wake Reply with quote

Does anybody agree with me that there are some ridiculous no wake zones on the CT River,there is more every year,I predominately fish the river a few times a week and these are annoying,some are legit and need a no wake but others like private marinas that are 500 ft away, thats crazy I cant ride for 10 min without one, then they are one after another, the one in Middletown seems validated due to all the Marinas,Restaurants,and amount of people on the water,but this takes 20-30 min to get thru which keeps many big name tournys away.I guess I just needed to vent cause this has been getting to me pretty soon it will be trolling motor only LOL
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah defiantly is a big down fall of the river!!! thumbs down
Justin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It especially sucks come tournament time when you have to plan extra extra time to get back.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tmac,

My Skeeter makes less of a wake at full speed then at 5mph. SO the question is: "Does no wake mean 5mph or No wake"?

I can fly by at 45 mph with no wake, is that ok?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no wake means whatever the DEP want it to mean.

I know they want us to go slow through the zones,so we don't endanger any boats slowing down to enter or exit any of these marinas. The problem with bass boats is that when we slow way down, our bow goes so far in the air, it actually creates a huge blind spot right in front of the boat, that makes seeing other boats much harder, thus being much more dangerous for us and them.

I agree that they should make it a within 100 yards rule, so if you stay in the middle of the river, you can still run at top speed which is 35 mph on weekends I believe. Even though most of us don't keep it at 35 mph or even 45mph, it would still be better than having to slow way down to a blinding dangerous crawl every 10 minutes.

Some of these no wake zones for so called marina's, are barely marina's. They are almost non existant, and some are so far away you can't even read the names on the boats, never mind that your wake at full speed has already flattened out to extinct before it even reaches the damn marina.

They need to start ticketing these 40 to 50 foot deep hulled cabin cruisers, that throw a 6 foot wake and swamp the front decks of our boats when were standing still or running for that matter. They are responsible for their wakes, but they don't care either.

So I guess, when they start showing us some respect, maybe we'll stop running no wake zones at 70+mph, right Johnny?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that most are not actually no wake but 6mph limit zones. The ones near boat ramps are no deal he told me that as long as i am 100 ftt or more away i can run. Yes this is a load of crap in my opinion and does affect out abilty to attract big mname events. the river is a great fishery and could attract the bigger tours but they dont want to deal with it. just another example of government at work..i especially love the one in hartford that is a total joke!!!
CTBASSIN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The no wake zones is the main reason I hate fishing the river. I have also been in tournies and observed the zones only to have guys blow by me like they weren't even there.

Fitzwater Lures- Best custom jigs on the market
http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/

American Bass Anglers Draw Tournament Trail
CT Division 6
www.abadivision6.com
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTBassin, that was Johnny skeeter that went right past you at 70+mph! LOL Shocked Shocked

Oh I'm sorry Johnny, was that supposed to be a secret? LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The no-wake zones are frustrating, but what's more mind-boggling is the fact that Hartford PD will have 5 cops in one boat when the Fed or NEBA are launching at one of their facilities. Honestly, do they really think that five donut-eating fatties in one boat is gonna catch a bass boat...or is really cost effective for the state to have five of them in one boat hassling us that obey the rules/regs while some idiot on a jetski without a life jacket is doing donuts in the no-wake right next to them and gets away with it? I also love the Lake Authority on Candlewood that looks the other way when these jerks in the bayliners or small cig boats blow right past my bow at full speed, and I'm the one that has my license checked.

Sorry for the rant, and no offense to cops for doing the job they are told/allowed to do...just kills me that the states try to make it so difficult to enjoy a prosperous sport.
Pointingdog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the B.A.S.S. or FLW tours come around, do they obey the zones? Are the "exempt" from them during the tournys? I recall the last big FLW stop, not many were slowing for some of the zones....

I agree Johnny, Government at it's best...Just like you can't travel with toothpaste in hand....!!!!
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointingdog, The bigger trails file for an exemption and post a ridiculous amount of money and liability insurance.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wake zones are silly, as someone stated earlier in this thread, some boats make very little wake when traveling at high speeds and bigger wakes when traveling at low speeds. You can bet your a$$ that if you were doing 50mph through a no wake zone and the DEP sees you, you are going to get a ticket, even if you where not making a wake at all. The last thing you want to do is give the DEP discretion when it comes to enforcing the laws.

In my opinion, there should be restricted speed zones in areas where traveling at certain rates of speed can be hazardous to other boaters or yourself. I can appreciate having restricted speed zones that help create safer waters for everyone enjoying them.

However, protecting a parked vessel should be the responsibility of the owner or marina. Boat owners and marinas should have the foresight to protect their investment against boat wakes/traffic just like they would if a storm where to hit. If you leave your boat in the water at a slip or a mooring, you should be responsible for ensuring that your property isn't going to get damaged by boat traffic. There are plenty of ways to protect your boat without forcing others to take that responsibility.

If the river didn't have any no wake zones, I wouldn't fish any place else.

Justin
Nickp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barges that go up and down the river throwing a 5 foot wake never get fined.... And there only going 10mph id bet.
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barges on the CT River????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: