CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Selecting a trolling motor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basstard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Selecting a trolling motor Reply with quote

I have recently became tired of paddling my canoe around so I am looking into buying a transom mount trolling motor for it. I have no experience at all with trolling motors at all so I was hoping maybe some of you guys could point me in the right direction. How much power do I need to move a canoe, two people, and a ton of tackle? Will 30lbs of thrust do it? 40lbs? Any brands I should stay away from? What shaft length do I need? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Nick
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I got started as a teenager. I had a 30lb thrust MinnKota and it moved the canoe just fine. Remember to get the canoe registered before you go out with the trolling motor attached, because the DEP considers any vessel powered by anything other than man power, a motorized vessel. I learned the hard way, mr. DEP waved me over to the launch, wrote me a ticket, and it cost me $60 for an unregistered vessel. Pointing Dog was there to witness this event many many moons ago.

Does your canoe have a flat transom to mount a trolling motor, or is your canoe pointed on both ends?

If it is pointed on both ends, you will need to strengthen the side wall to attach the clamps to the side of the wall. I used 2 pieces of oak, 6" by 6", and put 1 piece on each side of the fiberglass to add support and to keep it from sliding around. You don't need too long a shaft as your only 6" from the water line, actually the shorter the shaft the better, because if your in really skinny water, you have to raise the top handle so high it ends up being over your head, and just not ideal to fish around.

Good Luck......

Last edited by slimecoat on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basstard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, My canoe is pointed at both ends. I'm am pretty handy so I think I am gonna build a bracket. I saw a bunch of brackets for sale online. I am just gonna copy the design and build it myself. I like your idea of using oak. I may have to steal that idea from you. Thank you for you help. I didnt have any idea how much power i needed.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastard, I edited my original post with further info that I forgot about. Something else I forgot to mention, glue a thin piece of rubber to each side of the wood, to stop the vibration against the hull, it gets aggrivating after a while.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30lb thrust will push you canoe fine. If you want a little more speed get something in the upper 40s. They sell a bracket for rigging a trolling motor to a canoe at Cabela's in case you don't feel like making one.

Definitely register it like slimecoat suggested or you will get busted if the DEP sees yah.

Justin
rusty minnow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just picked up the motorguide varimax 55. it is well built and the price was good. rusty
Basstard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Ill be sure to get it registered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: