CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Site Suggestions, Enhancements, and Troubles Resolved
Viewing Topic: Helping to market this forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sluggo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Helping to market this forum Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Would like to help spawn some ideas to market this forum and get more membership.

I think biggest thing is getting the word out there that this place exists. I would suggest creating groups/pages for this forum on the popular social networking sites. As those sites grow and attract people who may have an interest in fishing, they might look for fishing groups on those networks. You want your name there.

I think turning the home page into a blog would be a good idea for search engine optimization. I'd suggest using wordpress, this forum area could be a link on the blog's navigation. What info would go on the blog? Maybe guest articles. Information that could be considered timeless and being in a blog, it's much easier for search engines to find. Just an idea.
regl
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are ranked pretty well with Google for the popular ct terms. We show either first or second page. There is room for improvement there though. One thing that I know I want to implement is a template for the fishing reports. It will help with SEO and also help the readability of the reports for users. I fear that a blog would become stagnant. Personally I do not know enough about fishing to write on the subject. We would need atleast 1 new article per week.

I wouldn't mind building groups on some of the social networking sites, it would get some younger interest in the sport.
regl
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI... New Facebook group online. CTFishTalk.com is the group name.
pdcrack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done on the facebook group. I agree about the blog, I dont think that is a really good idea. And the template sounds like an excellent idea Regl!
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help with a template for fishing reports. I do a lot of programming and work with large databases. I could whip up a form that would plug right into that pretty easily. If you're interested, hit me up a PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Sluggo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the blog idea, it could possibly be used to feature a "report of the week" and to get support of some tackle shops possibly, the report of the week can be offered to post a small ad either within the blog post or possibly as a banner add somewhere.

and another idea would be to start up an IRC chat channel, i would suggest using irc.quaketnet.org as the server for it. I've had good experiences on it. http://www.mibbit.com/ is worth checking out on how to integrate it into the site. More advanced IRC users can use their own clients like mIRC, or even the firefox extension called Chatzilla to connect to that chat channel. We'd be able to keep logs of chats so that we could go back and look at past convos and look up info said there. Possibly invite people for interviews in the channel. But we'd have an 24/7 chat room and the only one around.

chatzilla, the firefox extension, would look like this when open... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

but what the user uses to connect to the chat is their choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Site Suggestions, Enhancements, and Troubles Resolved All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: