CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Quarry Pits in Portland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Quarry Pits in Portland Reply with quote

Anyone ever fish these pits just over the bridge? I've heard of big bass in there,but it's so hard to find a spot to fish especially since they built the adventure/water park on one side and finally fenced the other? Also,how about the clay pits on rt9 in Berlin. How the hell are guys getting boats in there?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down there to check it out with my buddy awhile back and we talked to a guy from the water park who either owns it or just works there and he said they used to let people fish it and it was excellent bass fishing but "bucket fisherman" started coming in and keeping everything so they stopped letting people fish it. Just looking down from the top I saw a couple nice bass. it's to bad people have to screw things up for everyone else....
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that quarry is owned by the owner of Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill. The guy always has a sidearm on him and doesn't seem like he would be afraid to use. I would stay away from that place.

Justin
rdb313

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quarry Pits in Portland Reply with quote

heavyweight80 wrote:
Also,how about the clay pits on rt9 in Berlin. How the hell are guys getting boats in there?

I dont think you guys were talking about the clay pits on rt 9 in Berlin so....how are you guys getting into there?
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdb313, Take the Christian Lane exit off of RT 9 southbound and then go right at the light. Go down about 1/2 mile and you should see a road called Brickyard Lane or Road. Take that right and keep going down until you come to the rotary and you can't go any further without driving into a company parking lot. Park in the rotary, do not park in front of people's houses as sometimes they get pissed. That rotary puts you about 50 yards to the water's edge. You have to drag your canoe/yak or whatever on a trail through the brush and you're there.

Jim
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive parked at the train station and hoked my ass down the track and came across 2 small ponds that seem pretty good. Water was crystal clear it was just a bad fishing day as there were storms rolling in. But thanks for the info on the quarry in Portland. I'm glad there's always someone out there to ruin things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much Jim!
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of fish exactly are in those clay pits? I've seen bass,but anything else?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavyweight80 wrote:
What kind of fish exactly are in those clay pits? I've seen bass,but anything else?

Huge bass, carp, bullheads, and more bluegills than you can swing a stick at! Seriously, there are some good size bass in there due to the low fishing pressure. Been there a few times and have done good. Loads and loads of grass, milfoil and some wood cover. Although there is some shoreline spots, you really need to get a canoe/yak in there for maximum coverage.

Jim
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks it just driving by. I went there today but it was pouring by the time I got there and turned around. I saw some no trespassing signs so I wasn't sure. I know Berlin cops are dicks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: