CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: trailer bearing service?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: trailer bearing service? Reply with quote

I own a 2004 G3 aluminum boat. I purchased it at Reynolds in 05; I might have 7 or 8 hundred miles on the trailer; All freshwater launches except for 4 salt water. To this date I yearly just pump some more lube into the bearing buddies and am wondering if it's time to take them off and inspect them. Just wondering what the rest of you guys do. thanks cmorjoe
Stratos17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do mine each year. It takes about a hour to do both sides. Obviously it takes longer if you need to replace the bearings and races. The most important part of the job....make sure you have the correct hub seals. Your old ones will surely get ruined. On the seals make sure the new ones you purchase are a "double lip" Keeps the grease in and the water out. Better to take the time to do it pre-season than to be stuck on the side of the highway at 5:00am. as an insurance policy I purchased a whole new hub. I take it with me when I go out of state. There only about 60 bucks.

Last edited by Stratos17 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each year...!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had to replace the bearings/races and seal on one side of an axle and it wasn't too bad to do...only took a couple hours to replace and inspect the others. Bearing Buddies are the way to go since you don't have to re-pack the bearings each year. If you jack up your trailer and the tire spins without resistance or odd sounds, you shouldn't have to replace the bearings. If you take the tire off and look at the inner seal and there isn't any grease coming out or splattered on the tire, rotor or trailer, prolly a safe bet you're good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: