CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: lake winnoupasaki boating rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratosfear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: lake winnoupasaki boating rules Reply with quote

i am bringing my boat to winny in july does anyone know the boating rules regarding boating licences? i have my ct. operator card but i cant find out if i need one in nh?i do know that i dont have to register the boat if i am gonna be there for less than 30 days.any info would help.
Stratos17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Winni every June. We stay for a week. There used to be a regulation for outboards, not any more. Make sure to get a map of the lake. There are a TON of markers and buoys. No one has ever bothered us. There is a web site dedicated to the lake, it gives you regulations and lake conditions. You'll have a blast!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your CT safe boaters certificate is good on any water in N.H., Johnny skeeter has been going up there for years, and never had a problem, nor have I. But like stratos17 said, get a good map of Winni, the lake has many rocky hazzards just dying to eat your prop or lower unit. Pay close attention to the hundreds of bouys, or you will have a costly week up there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys im looking forward to fishing it i am staying in morrison cove north of long island for a week .hopefully ill still be married when the trips over lol
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratos,

I went there two years ago with my boat, HAD A BLAST. You will love the smallies.

Just don't get roped into buying "Helgamites". They go about $10.00 a dozen and I never caught a fish on them. BUT they swear that fish love them..

Plus if you knock the box over while your fishing, it make for a lot of fun trying catch them without getting bit.

Enjoy, I'm jealous. I wish I was going back.

ROn

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt know wtf a hellgamite was so i googled em and MAN DO THEY LOOK LIKE MEAN SUCKERS.... I wouldnt wanna be messin with those either.
Justin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winni is a great lake and fishery, and not to deter you, but I was a bit disappointed in the size of the fish. The smallmouth fight like hell, but they are smaller than ones down here...a great smallmouth will weigh about 3 pounds, but you'll catch numbers of d!ckheads that are all around 1 pound. Don't always believe that they run in packs all the same size...you'll have to weed out the small ones to get to the big ones at times.

What works for baits down here works up there...slight variations in color though. Dropshot (while watching your electronics), carolina rig, tubes and spinnerbaits all work well. It's a big body of water, but doesn't seem all that big once you're on it...but it does get rough with bad weather.

You definitely need a map of the lake with contour lines and pay close attention to them...the marker buoys are ridiculous since they are black and red. If the water level is up, the buoys will most likely be hidden/submerged. If you have a chip for your electronics that is fairly new, it works well. The water is clear and will fake you out because 10 feet looks like 3 feet. Best bet is to take it slow. As far as I know, there is still not a speed limit, but make sure you are not on plane within 150 feet of shore or another boat or they will ticket you. Your CT boating cert is sufficient up there, you just have to get a NH fishing license which you can do online.
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXII/270-D/270-D-15.htm

if you want smallies,fish around moose island if front of the red cabin,that would be mine,its great smallie action in july
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, i agree i've caught bigger smallies in CT, but last year we hit the spawn just right, and the 2 of us, in 2 1/2 days, boated 170 smallies. most of them were 2lbs. plus, with a dozen over 3lbs. I would say we caught 20 fish that were under 2lbs.

I will fish Winni anytime during the spawn with those kinds of #'s. Yeah I wish there were some 4, 5, and 6 lbers., but when you put those kinds of #'s in the boat it's a great trip. Just my 2 cents........

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slimecoat,

I was also there for the spawn last year. When were you there. We usually get there the first Saturday in June. With the water being so clear you can spot beds 100 feet away. Most of the bigger fish I've caught are in deeper water and are very subtle beds. Without a doubt you can easily catch 80 fish per day.
Not too much skill needed to catch them, still it's pretty fun. After the third day it's definately boring, We then try to find the Large mouths. There are some monsters there as well.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratos17,

Last year we were at Silver Sands in Guilford the first Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of June, but headed for home around lunchtime on Saturday. I agree the bigger fish were deeper than the rest, with more suttle beds. The best thing is that you don't need to go far, they are every where.

This year we are going earlier, and not fishing Winni I don't think. We will be fishing Squam and Little Squam from May 18th through the 21st, I suppose we could fish Winni one of those days. We may be too early for the spawn, but it will be fun anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slimecoat,

Let me know how you make out. I think you'll be fine. It seems this year we are a little ahead. As you say...it will be fun anyway! Good Luck!
stratosfear

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advise I hope i wil have a photo of a MONSTA SMALLIE when i get back. kind of strange i have that same reaccuring dream everynight?
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware they have a speed limit there now,i think it is 45mph....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: