CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: looking for baitcaster feeback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: looking for baitcaster feeback Reply with quote

ok so i've asked before in regards to baitcasters and perfered brands. mostly everyone agreed that its shimano, daiwa, and abu as the top brands. though i thought quantum was a good brand i guess i thought wrong.

currently i have two shimano citicas which i think are great reels a daiwa megaforce which i didn't like too much and have also had a quantum accurist which i thought was ok.

heres the scoop: i currently do not have the money to dish out for some of these $200-$300 reels nor do i feel that anyone should have to. so i've been looking at some of the sales along with some of the lower price reels and i'm just looking for some feedback from you guys. i understand you get what you pay for but i feel the same that a $300 reel can break just as easy as a $50. (which i also have experianced)

so the reels i am looking at if i can not get more of the citicas or if i need to save alittle are the :

Abu Garcia Silver Max

Abu Garcia REVO S

Quantum Tour Edition® PT (cabela's sale price)

Shimano Cruxis

any feedback?
Pauleye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Some suggestions Reply with quote

If the sale price is still available then the Quantum PT Tour Edition is a no-brainer. It's a $240 reel designed to compete with everyone else's $240 reel.

If you are looking at regular price then the best bang for your buck would be a Daiwa Tierra or a Cabela's Prodigy. Both of these reels are part of the Daiwa Advantage family which are considered to be a great value.
stumpy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the revo s out of all you listed you can find them on ebay cheaper. i had quatums and got rid of them all. if it was me deff a revo over a crusix. the max series of abu is not on an aluminum frame so may flex after some wear and tear. i have 2 revo s 2 stx and an sx. my rods will be paired with abu garcia from here on in.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have NEVER had good luck with Quantum. The baitcaster I have now, is a Pfleuger President. I love it!! $150 at Cabelas. I had an Abu Garcia prior to that, and the damn thing fell apart on me after about 2 seasons.
Nickp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The revo series are EXCELLENT flipping reels. There trash for anything else.

The quantums are ok.

Id go with a daiwa tierra for 120 bucks. Or the citica from shimano. for 120 bucks. that seems to be your price range.
brennan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a budget, I wouldn't look past the cabelas prodigy. All Diawa guts with some lesser bearings...everyone who grabs one of mine says "hey, not bad..."Then I tell them I paid 65 bucks each and watch the jaws drop...not gonna last a lifetime or run with the big dogs, but never fail to do the job....I also got some new E series curados...like them too...but paid alot more for em.....
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Shimano makes the best product. I've had multiple brands in the past and the only ones that have not been thrown out or used for parts are Shimano. You can pick up the new Curado for around $160 on e-bay which isn't huge savings, but it's not full price...same goes for the Citica. I still have my first Curado I bought almost 15 years ago and it works just fine.
Esox CT

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread I know. PFLEUGER!!!!! So smooth.
cobalt

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickp wrote:
The revo series are EXCELLENT flipping reels. There trash for anything else.

true facts
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an Okuma VSystem baitcaster off ebay brand new for 80 bucks and I love it. My bro in law has a shimano curado which is real nice and you can find for about 150. I think the curado is a little smoother than my Okuma,but both are great reels

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Nick and Sal on the Revo. I have 3, including an SC I bought on sale at Cabelas and was absolutely dumbfounded in the West Hill tournament when I was trying to cast a jig on 14# Fluoro with that thing. Nothing I did helped. Sal was right on the money when he said "at least you got it for $89 instead of $150. One of my other Revos broke apart and 3 pieces are at the bottom of Highland...I replaced that with the SC. I will say this though...the Revo was a good reel right up to the moment it fell apart. The SC is a total piece of crap for casting (at least the one I have is).

I have Team Diawa reels for the most part. I love the Zillion and Fuego, which are over $200, but you could probably find people that don't have the time to fish anymore selling them on ebay and craigslist. I have not had a problem with a Diawa reel in the two years that I have owned them (knock on wood).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: