CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Lack of CT River fisherman?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Lack of CT River fisherman? Reply with quote

It seems to me that there is a lack of enthusiasm towards the CT River. I don't know about you guys, but after fishing the river for a few years, that's all I really want to fish. I love the challenge and the variety that it offers. I'm sure there are lakes that offer the very same variety, but being boatless, many of these lakes are virtually unfishable for me. The river is a tough spot to find decent spots to fish from shore, but I still can't get enough of it. Anyone else feel the same way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Total Agreement Reply with quote

I believe the Ct River is a great place to fish, I have pulled out some my biggest fish out of there, right from shore. I am just looking for some new shore to fish!

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
pdcrack

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoSox,

I dont think there is a lack of river fisherman at all to tell you the truth... I think most recently, you will see more enthusiasm about pond/lake bass fishing just because the spawn is coming and the fish are bedding. Many people on this site fish the river VERY often. I cant remember everyone who does, but Justin Tralli comes to mind thats for sure. People can fish the river with good success for most of the year, so i think the reason it seems like theres lack of enthusiasm simply has to do with the time of the year. I see you're pretty new here, so just hang in there, the river rats ARE here Cool
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny skeeter also fishes the river and has plenty of knowledge of it, but other priorities have kept him busier than he wants to be lately. I also fish the river, but usually only when I have a tournament there, I actually have 3 tournaments there this year with the empty lake bass club.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know of one spot and thats in Rocky Hill. I don't fish it because I'm not familiar with it,although I would like to do more

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The river is a great fishery, but it becomes very frustrating and humbling because it is a tidal body of water. The variety of fish and types of structure are amazing, but having to waste time for the tides to change or be right is something I hate (along with the yahoos out there and the cops that only enforce the rules with people in bass boats). There are huge, healthy bass in there, but to lose a $3 tungsten weight to a damn pike kills me. It's also a pain because of the launch fees at some of the locations...not to mention the stupid no-wake zones. In last year's fed tourney I ran south from Hartford down to Hamburg and it took around 2 hours to get back because of the no-wakes. Time spent on the river and confidence are what I lack.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Justin said, the no-wake zones are a pain in the a$$. Plus if you are not launching out of Haddam Meadows or Salmon River then you're paying 15-20 bucks to launch, sometimes it is just less hassle to go to a lake.
Esox CT

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I can see how one could be deterred from fishing the river. The tidal thing is annoying. Bosox and I went to Hburg Cove Sunday, low tide. So we went and killed some time. Then we came back, incoming tide. We got a slimey and a nice yellow perch, but we were waiting for those schoolies to roll in! It was raining and kinda cold, so we sat in the GTI and drank coffee for a while, and soon after we called it a day. If ANYTHING, the river is the best tool we have to teach us versatility in baits, water level/depth, wind/current, and so on.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone.

The nice part about the river is that there are so many places to try out. It would take years to try every spot I'd like to.

One thing I don't like about the river is that it can change condictions very fast.....

SkeeterJim and I once put in by Salmon River and headed to Hamburg looking for Stripers. The river was smooth as glass. It was awesome. Spent maybe an hour in Hamburg cove the wind picked up a little and we headed back to the river.

Well, NO MORE SMOOTH AS GLASS. The waves kicked up to about 1+ feet in height. What a ride that was. Heading back to Salmon River on the out going tide with the wind in our faces.

I know the prop was out of the water at least once if not twice. That was crazy....

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Damn. The river is like New England. If you don't like the conditions, wait a minute! Wink
Tmac

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The river is basically my home lake I fish it weekly I used to do alot of tournys there but the kids have since slowed me down,The river can be tamed when you put the time into it, eventually you will know were to be and when,cause the fish are in diff spots under the many diff conditions, all you can do is focus on high percentage areas and hope the fishing gods are good to you.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the river, even if I skunk out, it still a nice place to be.

Justin
Phish

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, Bass Addict. I was just out there Sunday afternoon. Got the old skunko, but it was great just to be out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: