CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT River 5/25
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: CT River 5/25 Reply with quote

Hit the river today with Esox CT. Our goal for the day was to catch what we call "The River Grand Slam". This consists of 1 Keeper LMB, 1 keeper SMB, 1 keeper Pike, and 1 keeper Striper. This is quite tough to do from land.

But we started out around 11 at the Deep River town dock throwing spinner baits and jigs. Esox struck first on a chartreuse spinner bait with a gold willow blade. He got a nice 1.5 - 2 lb LMB on the third cast. Not much doing after that though. We decided to relocate to Eagle Landing State Park (Camelot) in haddam. Esox struck again with a small pike (not a keeper) on a gold yozuri. After fishing the crowded area for about 45 minutes with not much going on, we relocated again. We stopped at a small dock in chester right in the cove where I caught a small pike, about 22 inches. Caught him on a white spinner bait, and the bastard stole the skirt right off of it.

Not the biggest pike, but he gave me a hell of a fight for the size of him. Esox spotted a monster LMB but we spooked him when the dock moved. From there we moved to Chester Marina. Not much happening there. The traffic coming in and out of that place was nuts. I caught a perch and a small LMB both on a white spinner bait. From there we moved onto the train tressel in chester, where we both got the skunk. Saw a lot of small bass, and pickerel, but nothing all that great. We had a little time left so we tried Pratt Cove where Esox caught his second good bass of the day. A 2lb LMB on a jointed x-rap (JUMBO SIZE). A few pike were spotted there, but couldn't get anything hooked up.

So, our attempt at the grand slam didn't go that well. The results: Esox - LMB (2), Pike - (0), Striper (0) SMB (0)
Bosox- Goose eggs accross the board. Most of our fish were caught in about 2-6 fow. Not sure about water temp, but it seemed pretty warm in the slow moving back water areas. No sign of stripers anywhere. All in all, it wasn't a complete dissapointment, but the lack of keeper sized fish was a little discouraging. That's the river for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Esox CT

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I knew it wasn't gonna happen. Too much traffic in the main river, and backwaters were still murky from the rain and extreme low tides we've been having. I still had fun though! I also made sure to wash my hands when I got home! Sewage...

It looked like the shad are up on shoals. They were darting out of the water all over the place in Pratt Cove.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try guys. At least you didn't catch the skunk.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Nice try guys. At least you didn't catch the skunk.

This is true. Maybe next weekend!

Esox CT

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can get at least a triple.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox CT wrote:
I think we can get at least a triple.

Yeah, I don't see why not, maybe we'll have to get an earlier start this time though.

Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,..I think 3 out of the 4 species (of any size) would be a good day,...especially from shore! You could call it a trifecta!! Very Happy

ps: You're out there having a good time with a good friend,...that's all that really matters anyway! Wink
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
Yeah,..I think 3 out of the 4 species (of any size) would be a good day,...especially from shore! You could call it a trifecta!! Very Happy

ps: You're out there having a good time with a good friend,...that's all that really matters anyway! Wink

LOL at the trifecta! If George Costanza were to fish, this would be his main objective!

So if we look at it that way, we both got half way there, just non keeper size.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: