CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Silver Lake, 6/4/09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Silver Lake, 6/4/09 Reply with quote

OK Gents. Here I go my first report. I'm a bit embarassed to admit this but I got skunked!

Hit Silver Lake on a canoe with a buddy of mine. Only had about an hour and a half on the water. Hit up some of our usual spots, a few coves and beds. No action. The entire lake seemed to be run over with thick weeds that came all the way to the surface.

The water was dark and cool, I didn't have a thermometer but I'd guess the water temp couldn't have been above 60. There was a strong wind blowing across the lake coming from the highway and blowing towards the boat launch.

There were some fellow fisherman from both the shore and several others on boats and canoes. From our brief convos with them they weren't having any luck either.

I was switching lures up trying to find something the bass (or even pickeral) would hit. I was using chartruse spinnerbaits, chartruse/bloodred spinnerbaits, a livebait lookalike (babybass) lure (not sure the brand). Also threw out a Yamamoto worm rigged with a jig head with a wireguarded hook. Even that picked up the weeds! THrew out a double hooked rig (weedless) with an imitation nightcrawler. This was the most effective weedless rig I used but it still didnt' attract a hit.

My friend wasn't having any better luck. He stuck with mostly chartruse mini-spinnerbaits from what I saw. We were just about to leave when he said "Man, What happened to this place? It's all weeds. This place sucks" As he said "sucks" he hooked into our only fish on the same mini-whacker. Looked like it was giving him a good fight, but it was only a Johnny Roach. Decent size I guess.

Hopefully my next outing will prove to be a bit better, but even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man thats tough....only been to silver twice, but had good luck both times i would say. My first bass of this year came from there with Djmon which went ~3.5lbs on a jig. The second time I picked up around 15 fish in 2 hours between me and a buddy using mainly xraps, jerkbaits, and senkos.

All in all tough luck man, prolly just a bad day. Gl next time and thanks for the post.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. It happens to the best of us occasionally! You'll get 'em next time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Keep them coming. Better luck next trip.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report, don't get discouraged, plenty of us can go out and get skunked now and then. Next time out try throwing a senko, either wacky rigged weightless or texas rigged with a 1/16 ounce bullet worm weight at the nose. You can also try throwing a black neon tube with the same weight at the head. But you need to start throwing a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce jig, a jig is a big fish magnet.

Hope this helps.......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to post time of day. Fished between 5pm-6:30pm. Thanks for the replies and the advice. I don't often go skunked, but I'll be sure to try throwing some senkos and a jig or two.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassGetHooked wrote:
Forgot to post time of day. Fished between 5pm-6:30pm. Thanks for the replies and the advice. I don't often go skunked, but I'll be sure to try throwing some senkos and a jig or two.

Well, and hour and a half isn't much time to figure out a pattern. Especially with this wacky weather we've been having. If you ever watch city limits fishing with Ike, it usually takes him a good amount of time to get his first fish. The key is figure out the feeding pattern. It may take you 10 minutes, it may take you 3 hours. you might not figure it out at all. Next time, give yourself a bigger window of time and you'll be good! Wink

heavyweight80

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting skunked is like 2nd nature for me. I went 3 months before catching anything this year. I have however caught a nice tan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good first report. I've done good there most of the time but like Slimey said give yourself some more time to figure out the pattern next time.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Good first report. I've done good there most of the time but like Slimey said give yourself some more time to figure out the pattern next time.

Actually, i think I said that, but that's ok Wink

SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Sorry BoSox my bad! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: