CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Striper Questions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Striper Questions... Reply with quote

Was in New Haven in on of there run offs the river last night. Was alot of fish on the top of the water. 30-50 inches. Ran plugs,top water, just below top, bunker, and makerals. No luck. Any suggestions next time im out?
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from fishing in or near the schools of bunker. There is much more bait then there is gamefish. Figure out the tide and set your baits accordingly but make sure you are not very close to the schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try blue hudini shad.

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without actually being there, I can only take a guess!
One thought is that if they were chasing bunker,..then maybe your offereings were too small. I know that I've been out at times catching fish with fairly large lures when guys in a boat next to me throwing smaller stuff did not get a thing! Also the speed is often really a key thing when your fishing topwaters,..... Sometimes I've had to just dead-stick it.//while other times I've had to retrieve it as fast as I could twitch & wind! You just have to keep trying different stuff until you can find what works at that point in time! It gets very frustrating to see fish all around and not have them biting,....everyone goes through that at some point! There is no one magic solution to getting bit because every time is different as to what exactly they want! The more experience that you get,..the better and faster you will get at finding the key each time!!
I'm no pro at it yet,..but I've learned a ton this year and now I have a lot more things to try and ways to work the baits now than I did a year ago! Bottom line is that there is no substitute for time on the water,....all the tips & advice will take you only so far,...after that you really have to be out there, trying stuff and learning it for yourself! Cool
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no bunker just stripers swimming around the top water. The only other fish i seen was 2 inch bait fish and eels.
ploplopfizzfizz wrote:
Stay away from fishing in or near the schools of bunker. There is much more bait then there is gamefish. Figure out the tide and set your baits accordingly but make sure you are not very close to the schools.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. So far this spot i found has been holding stripers for about a week now. Only went out twice tho. First time killed it but last night all i could do is watch them swim around me with my head lamp on.
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were feeding on sand eels and shiners you may as well pack up and leave unless you have sluggos and grubs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back last night and had alot of strikes but only a few hook-ups. All-in-all was a really good night. Stuck to it and tried alot of stuff but found out poppers was the key for the night. Still dont know why the stripers are holding in this one part of the river for over a week now...
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfisher wrote:
Went back last night and had alot of strikes but only a few hook-ups. All-in-all was a really good night. Stuck to it and tried alot of stuff but found out poppers was the key for the night. Still dont know why the stripers are holding in this one part of the river for over a week now...

The stripers follow the food! They are there because what they are eating is there!
Stripers run up the CT River each spring chasing and feeding on the large schools of alewifes (and also some other herring..) that come into the river to spawn,....however as soon as those baitfish exit the river, so do the stripers! Cool
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know that. The stripers ive been getting have had eggs and sperm in them when i clean. Im thinking they are spawning there. Never seen fish that hung around the same spots of the river for well over a week now. Poppers worked out the best so far. Thinking of taking out the fly rod out tonight...
Just4fun wrote:
asianfisher wrote:

The stripers follow the food! They are there because what they are eating is there!
Stripers run up the CT River each spring chasing and feeding on the large schools of alewifes (and also some other herring..) that come into the river to spawn,....however as soon as those baitfish exit the river, so do the stripers! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: