CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Question for bass guys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishnCT

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Question for bass guys Reply with quote

What line are you spooling up with to fish senkos and plastic worms? I know you gotta be a line watcher to detect strikes. I put Cajun Red on, BUT I can 't see it!
I'll switch to Fireline or braid except I like to tie direct. I think a leader is a must because that braid is pretty visible (which is what I want, just not so visible to the fish)
Do you knot your leader to the braid or just use a swivel?

Thanks,
Bob
Go Bama

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: line Reply with quote

really depends on the type of water you are fishing...if you are throwing into weeds, stained water or low pressured ponds - there is no reason to no tie braid directly to the hook....If not, 8# floro or Mono will do the trick. Good thing to do is use a spinning rod that comes with a spare spool....so you can have one spool of each ready.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use berkley vanish 8lb and have done awesome with no probs yet and i been using it for 4 or 5 years and caught some hefty fish. As a matter of fact I caught a 38" pike on 10lb vanish no leader not sure how i landed it but i did.its actually in the records section.good luck!
hoppy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do alot of worm fishing and use 8lb mono. i find floro just has to much memory and honestly it didnt increase my hookups as floro is supposed to be invisible in water. to much twist for me right off the spool.
i use 8lb mono for just about all my fishing aplications that i use.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really kind of depends on what I'm fishing... I like braid when I'm fishing heavy cover, but I use mono OR fluorocarbon otherwise. I always thought mono had more memory, my medium spinning set up has mono, and the line is all looped. I've missed several fish due to that.(Line loops around the rod tip, and puts a lot of slack in the line) That's why recently I switched to my medium casting set up which has fluorocarbon on it. It's really what you feel more comfortable with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
FishnCT

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm mainly thinking about drop shotting in pressured lakes. I think I'll go with braid mainline and fluoro leader. I'll let you know my results.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when you put it that way, I would say don't use braid. A fairly light fluorocarbon would be good. If you still want to use braid, I would tie on a fluorocarbon leader using a surgeons knot. You loose a lot of feel for your line with a swivel IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Esox CT

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surgeon's knot is good for fly line to leader/tippet, but the time I tried it (once)with braid to flouro, it slipped out. Maybe it was just a bad knot or a tag end trimmed too short, I don't know. Anyways, play around with it, that's what I'm gonna do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 65 lb braid for flipping thick mats, especially chestnut, and throwing frogs and I wouldn't use any less for that stuff...the fish can definitely take it...sometimes you have to put on your man pants.
Tmac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to drop shot you must use flourocarbon,dont bother with any braid,if you put on any leader it will take away sensitivity,use straight up flouro only .I dropshot alot and P-line is my favorite I have a test tank in my basement,and its the only one thats really invisible,but make sure your hook points up use braid for frogs or flipping thats all I use it for.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 10 or 12lb. Berkley Vanish Floro for almost all my soft plastics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: