CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Saltwater fishing license...effective June 15 2009
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toptech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Saltwater fishing license...effective June 15 2009 Reply with quote

Yes this is the truth I am almost positive. You will need a license by June 15 to fishing any ct ocean water. I could not find it on the dep website but I have some friends that fish the ocean almost everyday and they told me.

License cost should be $10 for resident $15 for non-res.

If anyone has heard this please post to confirm...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true..... Bait shops have them already....
P.DONA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy your license , yet, our trusty Governer hasn't passed it, and it's suspended !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Marine License Information Reply with quote

Hello to everyone, this is my first post on the site. I always hoped it would be a great fishing report but I have some information that may be helpful to the new marine licenses so here goes...

I sent an email a few days ago to the DEP and they were pretty helpful in clarifying some information about it. Here is what I got back:

"The State legislature passed a bill on June 2nd that included a recreational marine fishing license that would have become effective June 15th, 2009. This bill, along with many others, has not yet been signed by the Governor. There’s lots of administrative steps that each bill must go through on the way to becoming law, and especially following the end of the regular session, when there are many other recently passed bills going through the same process, there can be delays in when a bill becomes law. The bill (now Public Act 09-173) was just sent to the governor’s office on June 13th. Note that once a bill gets to the governor’s desk, she has 15 days to sign the bill. So although the bill listed June 15th as the effective date, the saltwater recreational fishing license requirement is not yet law (and will not become law until signed by the governor).

The fee will be $10.00 for residents and $15.00 for non-residents. The license would be free for those residents age 65 and older, although they will have to renew annually. As with the freshwater license, those under 16 years of age would not need a license. Anglers on a party/charter boat registered as such in CT will be exempt from the license requirement while fishing from the party/charter boat.

There are provisions for reciprocity with NY and the other northeast states. NY has also passed a saltwater license bill which becomes effective October 1, 2009. The NY legislation includes reciprocity with CT for Long Island Sound. RI currently has its own legislation pending, which currently would include reciprocity with other states including NY and CT.

DEP will be providing more information (especially when the bill becomes law) concerning this license shortly. Initially, DEP will focus on educating anglers as to the requirements, and not on issuing tickets (unless encountering the same angler multiple times).

just like the existing hunting and inland fishing licenses, the marine licenses will be available online. The new saltwater license would also be available at all current vendors and DEP offices where the existing freshwater fishing and hunting licenses are available. Note again that the bill has not yet been signed by the Governor, so it’s not quite official yet.

No license will be needed to take blue crabs. However, a license would be required to take “bait species”, and the list of bait species that may be taken for personally use do include several other crab species."

Hope that helps clarify some things. There is also some information now on the DEP's main page as well.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: