CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Falls River 6/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esox CT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Falls River 6/21 Reply with quote

I went to my father's favorite spot in Falls River. I wanted him to come along seeing how it was Father's Day, but he was busy. The water was RAGING! Usually the weapon of choice there is an unweighted ZOOM worm pumpkin w/ chartreuse tail. That wasn't gonna cut it in these RAPIDS!!! So, I tied on a 3/8 oz. BOOYAH jig pumpkin colored with a YUM craw trailer pumpkin/chartreuse colored.

Usually with a worm, alot of dinks are caught with the occasional 2-2 1/2 lber. The jig however filtered out the dinks. I lost count after 12 fish, avg. 2-2 1/2 lbs. with only 2 dinks mixed in! I was REALLY surprised to find most of my fish in the current, NOT in current breaks. I was flipping into current breaks with cover, and letting the current bring the jig across their noses downstream. I lost a few fish on acrobatic displays, and I also broke 30 lb braid on a hookset! Must have had a fray...

One thing concerned me though. A few of the bigger fish I caught had these leech-like creatures inside their mouths and on their bellies. Not alot of them, but 5 or 6 inside their mouths. They were maybe 1/4" long and tan/light brown in color. I removed the ones I could. Does anybody know what that might be? Parasites? I don't think the fish were eating them, they're too small.

Anyways, I went to my parents house and told my dad the next time we go there its JIG vs. WORM to find out the real weapon of choice!!! Fun day Very Happy

Last edited by Esox CT on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:17 am; edited 2 times in total
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Glad you had a good day!

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby leeches. They darker as they get bigger. Most likey came from the brook where the fish were hanging out

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know. Never seen those before. Is that common for them to be on/in the bass?
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about bass,but I'm sure it could happen. I usually find them on turtles that live in or near brooks,not so much in ponds and lakes. They aren't harmful by any means

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job broskie! I told you a jig would work in there!!! I tried it myself today, not as many as you (I think you caught most of 'em on Sunday). I ended up with 8, only one dink, the rest around 2 lbs, biggest about 2 1/2. One fish on a buzzbait, the rest on a jig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Esox CT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I always had a feeling a jig would produce there. I've seen some crawfish in the stretch of Falls River behind mom & dad's, I figure they're in the part we fish too. The water level really made a huge difference in there. I went today mid afternoon, and not nearly as many fish, not very active, hiding in the shadows. I only caught one in 1/2 hr. of fishing. Georgia (my cairn terrier/terror) did not like Mr. Bass... Laughing

Last edited by Esox CT on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the bluebird skies didn't help either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
MarkO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try flouro instead of braid around rocks....braid and rocks don't mix well, at all. Where is Falls river located? Is that CT?
Esox CT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll hafta start using a leader I guess. And yes, Falls River is in CT. It is basically the watershed of Bushy Hill Nature Preserve, It runs through Essex to the Brackish part of the CT. River.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: