CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Bantam Lake Launch Closed effective 6-29-09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Nitro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Bantam Lake Launch Closed effective 6-29-09 Reply with quote

Hi everyone.I'm a new member,but not new to the site.Ienjoy reading all the differant post and news.I read this in sundays paper.The launch will only be open to residents now and there maybe a fee.

Bantam Lake launch closed to outsiders

BY JOHN MCKENNA REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN
MORRIS — Use of the municipally owned boat launch on Bantam Lake will be limited to town residents under a measure approved at a town meeting Friday.

Voters approved closing the launch to nonresidents, 33-21, after more than 90 minutes of debate at Town Hall.

Only residents owning real estate or personal property in town will be allowed to use the launch, which provides the only free and unrestricted public access to the state-owned lake.

Friday's meeting was called after the Board of Selectmen and the state Department of Environmental Protection failed to come to terms on a new lease for the launch.

The DEP leased the launch from 1980 to Dec. 31, 2008, but negotiations on a new short-term lease stalled this spring when the state couldn't meet the town's request for an annual payment of $20,000.

Frustrated by the deadlock, voters dug in their heels and agreed to close the launch to nonresidents.

"There was a lot of discussion from both sides of the debate and now we'll have to work together and follow the wish of the majority," First Selectman Karen Paradis said after the vote.

The launch will be open as usual this weekend, Paradis said.

sad day
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We heard the same thing from the DEP officer at highland on sunday afternoon , after our empty lake tournament there. He seemed to think the town might change their minds when they figure out it costs the state $70,000 to run the launch per year. We'll see, it's too bad only town residents will be able to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how this is going to play out....??? I'm really interested in hearing feedback from some of the locals that live in that area. There must be many tourney's scheduled there....yes??
Stratos17

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rough one...but can you still launch a point folley? It costs 5 bucks I think.
I have fished Bantam alot in the past, there is alot of pressure there. Maybe a year there without tournaments is a good thing. I can't figure how the state spends 70K there. What do they do? A porta potty? I think the town of Morris will be able to handle it.

The Point Folley launch is very steep,narrow and shallow. all the wrong things for Tourneys. It would be a bitch with a 20ft boat
NX 882 BASS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: bantam launch Reply with quote

i dont have any problem catching fish there even with alot of pressure the fishing always seem good to me,so as far giving tournament fishing a rest there it wont make any difference on the fishing quality,can we launch at beverlys marina for a fee or is that ramp for the people who have slips there??? Rolling Eyes
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!! Crying or Very sad Was one of my favorite places too.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that $70,000 was just some fabricated # that the old man made up to make a point.

Although at $20,000 going to the town from the state to lease the land, cutting the grass, maintaining the port-o-let, and trash cans, and liability insurance costs, it all adds up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: bantam launch Reply with quote

this really sucks!!wow we cant have anymore ct fishtalk tourneys there anymore,i did like 4 of them last year on there and always had a great time,this state wants to take the fun out of my weekends now, whats next!!! Crying or Very sad
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that jon.I love fishing Bantam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: