CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Tackle Box/Bag Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Tackle Box/Bag Recommendations Reply with quote

I stopped by Dick's today because I'm in the market for a new tackle box or bag but I couldn't make up my mind so I left without one. I was wondering what your thoughts were. Do you have recommendations, pros, cons, etc...about what brands and types you like. I don't want anything huge but large enough to carry what I need for a day on the lake or river.

I've never used the bags before but I like the organization they offer with the interchangeable plastic box inserts. I'm just a bit worried whether they hold up well and if they are impossible to clean or not. Most tackle boxes don't smell too great after a while and I'm a bit worried the bag will absorb odors more than the hard plastic boxes. Thanks for any info you can give me.
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of the bag type tackle boxes. I love it for the fact that it's waterproof and holds 6 trays and has an assortment of pockets

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg, it all depends on what you're looking for. Like rods and reels everyone has their favorites. If you're looking for something versatile and changeable get a soft bag with plano boxes inside that way you can mix and match and take certain boxes for the certain "types" of fishing you're looking to do that trip. These systems are great because as you increase your techniques and find the need to get more tackle, all you have to do is get more plano boxes. I've even seen soft tackle boxes that look like back-packs that you carry just like a back-pack which is great if you do alot of moving around like fishing from shore. If that's not your style then get a regular tackle box with slider drawers big enough to hold everything you think you're gonna need but you definitely don't want to overload them so much that it's a strain just to carry them around. I used to use several suit case size tackle boxes and one of them got sooo heavy that the handle and the surrounding plastic lid litterally broke off. Embarassed That to me was a sign that I needed to reduce their weights and better sort out my tackle into a more manageable soft bag system also. Good luck figuring out what you're looking for Dawg.

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I definitely want the versatility of the Plano type boxes so I can bring tackle based on the type of fishing I'm going to be doing that day. I guess you haven't had any issue with the bag type as far as them absorbing odors goes? I have seen the hard plastic tackle boxes which also carry the 3700 boxes but it sounds like the bags are the way to go.

I will most likely end up with a Plano that carries 4 of the 3700's. That seems to be the size I'm looking for. Have you had any issues with durability of the Planos? Any more comments are appreciated.
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got mine from Marlboro,but after comparing it to others at the store,I'm very happy with mine. I've had it for at least 5 years and not one leak or funky smell come from it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:

I will most likely end up with a Plano that carries 4 of the 3700's. That seems to be the size I'm looking for. Have you had any issues with durability of the Planos? Any more comments are appreciated.

Dawg, if you do or plan on fishing in the rain alot do spend the little extra to get the good Plano boxes that have moisture seal built into the lids. They look like little o-rings built into the lip cavity. Nothing spoils your day later on when you start to notice all your spinnerbaits and lure hooks starting to rust because moisture got inside them.
shaggs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
DirtyDawg10 wrote:

Dawg, if you do or plan on fishing in the rain alot do spend the little extra to get the good Plano boxes that have moisture seal built into the lids. They look like little o-rings built into the lip cavity. Nothing spoils your day later on when you start to notice all your spinnerbaits and lure hooks starting to rust because moisture got inside them.

That's good to note...

I love fishing in the rain...I was out last friday 6/26 in that nasty thunderstorm. the one which had a tornado touch down a few towns over. what was crazier is someone was in a boat with all that lightening.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggs, that's crazy! I don't mind a few dark clouds but when I see lightning and hear thunder coming I get off the water ASAP. Out in the middle of a lake YOU are the highest point there so the chances of a lightning strike is pretty good especially if your holding your rod up too. I love fishing and all but it is not worth dying for.
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really just got to the point my bag was getting so heavy that i just grab the trays i need and stick them in an old back pack i have. works pretty good

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backpack !!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good info guys. I ended up getting a $30 bag from Dick's which will do the trick for quite some time. 4 plano 3700 boxes came with it and it has a good amount of pockets for all the bigger stuff. I could see it getting heavy if it is full of tackle. If and when that happens I will probably go with the backpack trick.

For now I am going to stick with the standard boxes that came with the bag. Some day I will eventually swap out to the waterproof boxes. I can see those being nice to have.
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one i have. I got it from cabelas on sale for 25 bucks without the boxes. It was fine cause i wanted to use 3601 boxes which it can fit six of instead of three of the 3600. Right now i am using 3 3601's and 2 3600's.
I have several 3500 boxes in the top.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pack! Fits a lot of gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: