CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Noobs fishing in Bridgeport Harbor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmanoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Noobs fishing in Bridgeport Harbor Reply with quote

Hi,

Here goes my report:
3 noobs fishing bridgeport harbor friday night 6pm-sundown. We have 6 bunker and 12 bevs and are looking for stripers.

we catch nothing and have no idea how to fish.
a few weak pulls on the line, and one 2.5'' crab is all.

Can someone please teach me how to fish !! ??!!
hahaha!

so we just cut the bunker into chunks and baited hooks and let it fall to the bottom. crack a bev and wait. if we got nothing for 15-20 minutes, switch to a fresh hunk o' bunker.

there were about 15-20 other boats out and most of them started moving out shortly after we showed up. we saw only a few catches being made around us. only a handful of fish jumps near the boat.

so there is my first report and first post. please teach me how to fish. i will have access to a 19ft boston whaler with 88hp all year, docked in fairfield. i want to catch something!

im sure i will learn and read a lot here.
thanks for reading.

-kevin
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never fished bridgport but look for structure/reef points, stay away from flats. Ask you local bait shop for some tips on where to go. Also, tides are important, I prefer outgoing but have caught fish on incoming. Don't bother during slack tide. Use a 3 way setup if you are using bunker (weight, hook swivel). If the tide is right at night, live line some eels on a 3 way, especially during full moon periods. If you see them on top, atom popers work well, swim baits, cast masters, hopkins to name a few popular lures.

Try catching hickory shad on small plastic grub rigs or other tiny lures(again ask your local bait shop) and live line them. Bass lovem. I am not sure of the status of the bunker yet, but they should start to get thick soon. If you see big bunker schools buy a snagger (weighted treble hook - ask your bait shop) and snag some live bunks and then live line them.

Those are some basics tips. First you got to find out where to go and then use some of the info i provide. Check the DEP fishing reports, they might give you some locations to try. Good luck.

I typically fish race rock, plum gut, watch hill wreck, fishers island, hatchets, and the reefs in Montauk. Anyone of those locations will produce if you put your time in and blue fish are almost always availible there as well.

Justin
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fish Bport much but when I do , I usually fish the reef out front and do well with everything from fluke to Bass.It has had a ton of sea robins there also. Penfield reef be careful and have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you'd be catching something if you were doing it where there were some fish,...you just have to move around and try some different spots until you get on them! It's usually not a good sign when all the other boats leave an area like that! Wink
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STRIPED BASS fishing is good on the night bite. Buck tail jigs on three way rigs, the tube and worm combination, live lining bunker, scup, hickory shad and eels or using bottom rigs baited with fresh cut fish chunks work well. The usual striper spots include the Watch Hill reefs, the Race, Sluiceway, Pigeon Rip, Plum Gut, outer Bartlett Reef, Hatchett Reef, Long Sand Shoal, DEP Marine Headquarters fishing pier, Cornfield Point, Southwest Reef, Sixmile Reef, Falkner Island area, Bridgeport Harbor, Penfield Reef, Stratford Shoal/Middle Ground, and the reefs around the Norwalk Islands.

taken from the dep fishing reports

here is the link

http://www.ct.gov/Dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322752&depNav_GID=1630

Justin
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Benson Marina is a good spot in the Bridgeport area, I've hooked some noce blues there and anywhere along Penfield beach is pretty good just remember to stay below the high tide line so no one can mess with you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: