CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: stradic problems - salt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: stradic problems - salt Reply with quote

ok I have a stradic 2500 mfga that I was given in 2008. I love the reel and have caught tons of fish on it both fresh and salt. I always wash it down after I use it in salt and then give a couple of drops of reel oil as well as spray the outside of it with wd. It has started to feel as though the bearing or something is going on it.

When my friend gave the reel, he specifically told me not to use it in salt, but of course I did. I figured as long as i took care of it, it would be fine. When I retrieve it almost feels like I have a huge weight tied to the end of it compared to the super smooth reel that it once was.

So, am I totally F****ed or can it be fixed? And yes, I am an idiot Rolling Eyes

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it apart,...clean and relube it. Then see what it feels like!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mark, that sounds complicated but I will see if I can find some instructions online.

Justin
Old Mud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Strip down and re lube and check all the bearings. i don't own one and have never seen one but reels are reels. If it's mechanical it will wear out, Corrode,gum up bearings will freeze up etc. All my big reels (Penn 130st's) are stripped, washed dried rebuilt and re lubed every season or after one goes out on the ball.

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
dave_376

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if im not wrong the mg stands for magnesium. magnesium is extremely corrosive in salt. don't use it there ever again. as for spraying reels with wd40, don't do that either. wd40 is a lube suspended in a solvent, the solvent will get into your reel and melt away the lube.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend told me the same thing dave with the mg. However, shamano claims it is safe to use in salt and I have read a lot of reviews of people that also use it in salt without any problems. Also, i believe that only part of the body is mg, not the internals so I don't think that is the problem. The real is supposed have a protective coating over the mg and anti rust bearings, see quote below.

"Durability: If used only in freshwater there is no need to worry about corrosion, but for those anglers that want to fish the Stradic MgFA in brackish and saltwater Shimano has implemented a special multi-coated finish to withstand corrosion from harsh environments"

"The Stradic's magnesium frame is safe for saltwater. Other features include a forged aluminum spool and super-slow oscillation. A-RB? Anti-Rust Bearings Manufactured via a unique process that makes them at least 10 times more corrosion-resistant than other bearings. Smooth, silent, and strong -- the ideas behind all Shimano reels. "

As far as wd goes, I spray a light coat on the outside of the reel and wipe it down. I am careful not to get it into any of the internals. I only do that to clean off any salt that might not have come off from rinsing it. I do that with all my salt water reels and never had a problem and I have a few that are going 20 years now. I know plenty of captains that do it with van stalls and accurate. As long as you aren't spraying it directly into internals, I don't see a problem with it. But you are correct, it is essentially a degreaser. I really just use it as a cleaning solvent.

I think it might just need a good cleaning. Im am going to see if I can find a guide online as I don't have the manual. I have caught a ton of blues on it and stripers so it might just need some additional maintenance than I have been giving it. As mud and mark have stated.

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's caused your problems from what you describe,..but I would still stop spraying WD40 on that particular reel. The reason is that the solvent power of the WD40 may degrade the "protective coating" that's on your magnesium. Besides that, salt is not soluble at all in WD40 but it is very soluble in fresh water! Wink

(And you are correct in that the part of the reel that is magnesium is the outer shell of the reel and not the internal gears & bearings etc!)

ps: Baitcasters are a different story, however spinning reels are not that complicated,...if you take it apart on a clean surface where you can lay the parts out as you take them off and not lose them, you should have no trouble. Just lay the parts down in order as you remove them and reverse the process later to put them back! Oil is for the bushings/bearings and grease goes on the gears! A light coating is all you need,.. do not over lube stuff or it will slow things down and make the reel feel all gummed up! Wink
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good mark, I will definitely take your and dave's advise band stop the wd. I appreciate all you help guys.

Justin

Justin
Nickp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its never good to wash down reels. Water defuncts grease making it a milky grey/white. It basically turns reel grease into sand. Salt water is worse. No matter how carefull you are- you will get salt water into your reel if you use it in the ocean. My guess if the grease is gone and the main 6 or 7 bearing that surround the handle (inside the reel) are corroded. You can send it back to shimano- they will clean it and rebuild whatever parts they think are no longer working. Shouldnt run more then 50-75 dollars. Either way- better then paying 180 for a new reel (actually there on sale/clearance right now)
Old Mud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, I forgot to mention this place where i get my bearings. Good price and good service. I have all Penn reels , save my Shimano 1000 and 4000 for bait fishing. Hope this is ok to post ???? That site has bearings for many small applications.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/Shimano

Don

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using LITHIUM greese it is for barrings in car engines and is totaly water resistant, and very slippery I use it in my reels and it normaly last atleast a full season before having to shoot some more into the reel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought reel greese and oil then cleaned the reel. It is fine now which is awesome because I love my Stradic.

I just picked up a Saharra 3000 and for 80$, I am loving it. It cast a mile and is extremely smooth. If you want a stradic but don't want the price tag, go with the Saharra.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: