CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Coventry 9/22-23
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pointingdog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Coventry 9/22-23 Reply with quote

Looks like Coventry is starting to turn over. Lake has that green tinge, not really algea, but as if there was a green tea party. Not much to report on fishing, lots and lots of 1-pounders, and only one that may hae tipped 2-pounds. Oh yeah, and one Picky.

Water temps were about 70 degrees.... Wasl also sunny and very windy.

Still great to get out and fish a few hours on back-to-back days!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a temp of 70 i would say its not even close to turning over. the turn over happens when the surface temp drops below the temp at the thermo-cline around 50 degrees or so.
Pointingdog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was about 3 days last week, when the air temp at night dropped to about 48 degrees, thus cooling the water. I am sure that water descended, and with the warming of the air and the beaming sun during the days, the water surface temps rose. My temp guage only records about 1-foot down...

Guess it must have been the tea party then....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's very windy,..the warmer surface water can get pushed to one side of the lake and draw up cooler water on the other side, triggering turnover,..but for that to happen the bulk of the water has to already be close to the temp of the thermocline.
I agree that it's way too early and a few cool nights is only going to have cooled a little of the water near the surface (especially with the offsetting warm sunny daytimes....).
Don't know what the green color was but IMO there is a whole summer's worth of warmer water in the bulk of the lake which will take quite a bit more cold weather to bring it down enough for turnover!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: