CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: drawing downs - Why?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: drawing downs - Why? Reply with quote

Why do the draw down lake in the fall? I can understand trying to maintain a consistent water lever but why do they draw down lakes below normal in the fall? Is it a proactive way to prevent flooding when winter hits because of ice?

Justin
Lundrunner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's done mostly so folks can work on their docks and bulkheads.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also to let the lake fill with natural run off and snow melt all winter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're forgetting the reason that most of us hate...to kill the weeds for the following year...Candlewood will be drawn down quite a bit this winter.
Vikingned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can go hit all them swimming and boat launch areas with my metal detector... Very Happy

Personal best find to date: Batterson Lake, Mens diamond ring appraised at $3500. sold on ebay for $2,200 to some gentalman in England. He loved the ring and I was happy to go buy some new fishing gear. Wink
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find. You found the ring on the lake bottom? How and where did you find it as Batterson doesn't get drawn down too much if any?
Vikingned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Good find. You found the ring on the lake bottom? How and where did you find it as Batterson doesn't get drawn down too much if any?

Actually Jim, I was up to my neck in the water. I have a number of detectors and each has it's place. I was using my sumersable detector ( Water hunting) that day. I'll just say, I was close to the swimming area. One of my best finds, of many. Personal favorite, a MINT SNY Belt buckle, fully intact, 3 inches down on a mountain top in Troy,NY...SNY = State of New York, Civil War Belt Plate. Found at a homestead, long lost over the years, only the field stone foundations can still be seen...

My second favorite hobby to fishing.......
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow another good find Vikingned. You must hit the state beaches alot during the offseason to find treasures lost during the busy summer season.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viking, that seems like a cool hobby. I think my 3 year old would be really into it. Can you recommend a good setup that won't break the bank?

Justin
Vikingned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
viking, that seems like a cool hobby. I think my 3 year old would be really into it. Can you recommend a good setup that won't break the bank?

Can't give away all my secrets Skeeter LOL Lot's of top notch competion out there when it comes to detecting these days. Seriously!

Bass Addict,
Most go to radio shack or some local department store or even sports stores sometimes. But all you'll find there is detectors with their store name thrown on them. Almost all of these are made by Bounty Hunter Elec....You'll be digging alot of nails and bottle caps/pull tabs, and get discouraged very quickly.
Some of the top of the line companys, like Tesoro, Fisher, Whites, Minelab, ect ect. Sell detectors of all types and all price ranges. All their lower end units still out produce Bounty Hunters.
I've been in it for years, to many to want to mention..LOL But if and when your ever really serious, I'de be more than happy to help you find a great deal out there. I myself, still buy used units in great condition for a fraction of the original cost, because I know a great number of others in the States who take great care of their equipment and upgrade yearly.....
Hey, I"ll even do one better, if you want to borrow one of mine for a week to go out with your son, I'de be more than happy to lend you one. See if you both enjoy it or not first...
It's a great hobby, and for those who really get into it like me, I spend probably 500% more time on searching history and searching for those old un-hunted spots, than I do go detecting itself. It turned me into a history nut for sure, espeicaly colonial and civil war era history. But I've also been as far as the Philippines and took my detectors there. PRIME NEVER HUNTED LAND ! Wink
Any way I can help, more than happy to.

VN

PS: I'm not far, I'm in New Britain.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the Phillipines was a great place to find land mines and munition left over from World War II. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: