CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington River Locations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hockey2315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Farmington River Locations Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been out of the game for a few years and I'm trying to pick things back up now. Can anyone recommend a spot on the Farmington river (or other river in the area) where I can find some trout with relative ease? I live just south of Hartford, so something quick/easy to get to from there would be ideal. I have waders (hopefully they still fit) and would probably only be using worms or something else simple to fish. When I get back into things I'll probably get the fly rod back out, but for now I'm just looking to regain the feeling of having a fish on. Any suggestions for tactics would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
pdcrack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first.

Welcome Brian
Phish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just looking to catch a couple fish and don't care about size, I've caught them from the area below Farmington High School all the way up to the dam at Collinsville. I used to live over there and would sometimes just wade out in front of Apricots (restaraunt) and find fish in the pools above and below the rapid right there. It's been a few years as I've been bass fishing almost exclusively for the last 2 years. Also caught a couple and a smallmouth bass on a fly down where that rails for trails biking trail crosses the river down from the little league ball fields. Plenty of great areas on the river beyond those that are better fishing. Up river. The second article below has some great information...and of course nothing beats hitting a fly shop and talking to the guys that are in the water every day.

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/farmingtonriver.html
http://www.flyfisherman.com/northeast/jpfarmington/index.html
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Phish said. If you've been out of it for awhile then forums like this and visiting the local bait and fly shops will give you a wealth of information on what is hot and and has been working these days. Also pick yourself up the DEP fishing booklet and read the sections on the Farmington River because there are so many areas where it is catch and release only, flyfishing only areas, or catch and take but certain areas the limit is 2 and other areas it's 5 so reading up on exactly where you're going to be fishing is recommended before heading out.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also areas that are barbless hooks only. I try to fish just south of the dam in Riverton and Hartland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: