CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Tiny Twin Trout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiggin stick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Tiny Twin Trout Reply with quote

Fished east Twin today with my son. Caught 17 browns. Great action but no keepers. All between 14" and 16". Plenty of ice but freaky clear when walking out in the dark
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi js!

Good for you Exclamation
Too bad the Brown has to be 20" or better.
The ones you caught were the eating size Exclamation Very Happy

Yea! That black ice -> even though it is thick can freak you out.
Was the same yesterday on West Hill!
Makes your hair stand on end when you hear one of those ice expantion booms also Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

ALWAYS GOOD TO KNOW YOU HAVE - "ALL" - YOUR SAFETY GEAR ON OR CLOSE AT HAND -> MAKES ICE FISHING MORE ENJOYABLE Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Have fun safe fishing Exclamation
SeaDog1
jiggin stick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SD,

We were thinking of going to Westhill next weekend. Was there enough ice there to hold a quad? Were there any quads out on the ice?

With three young sons that join me, I need some help getting everything out there.

Thanks

JS
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JS!

Personally I don't want to see "ANY" quads or snowmobiles on West Hill.
In fact -> Most of the regular fishermen (Me included) that fish WH are trying to ban them from EVER being used on the ice permanently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck!!! -> The POND is only 214 acres -> Small enought to walk it end to end in 20 minutes.

Besides that -> "IT IS RATED AS THE CLEANEST BODY OF WATER IN CONNECTICUT" -> That is why it is one of the TOP 2 Trout/Kokanee Salmon waters in the state.
We DON'T need (even by accident!) a Quad or Snowmobile going thru the ice and Polluting such a Pristine Pond.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"LEAVE THE EVIL - NOISY-Fish Scarring Exclamation - QUAD OR SNOWMOBILE (STINK MACHINES) AT HOME Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Those things are OK for "BIG" waters where distance to the fishing grounds is a factor -> "NOT ON SMALL CONNECTICUT LAKES AND PONDS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry!! But I don't want to see them, hear them or smell them any where on the little ponds and lakes I fish!!!!

Take a walk -> From the boat ramp you can be in water over 30 ft. deep in 5 minutes!!!!!!

"WANT PEACE AND QUIET WHEN I'M ICE FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Seadog said that lake is the clearest and cleanest lake in CT. With the horsepower restriction I love fishin there in my tin can and not getting run over by huge bass boats racing from one end to the other. Theres always Highland. They have quad drag races out there. Just make sure you keep your eyes peeled for LOW LYING TIP UPS...
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT!

THANK YOU! For your in-put and backing me up!!!!!!!!!!

West Hill is "Worth every effort to preserve" not just for us now but for future fishermen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather brought my father there my father brought me there to fish and in the future I plan on bringing my son or daughter there. Its a great lake but those damn ospreys keep eating all the trout Mad
skeeterjohn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: west hill Reply with quote

Its not the bass boats youshould worry about its the ski boats.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skeeterjohn!

Your absolutely correct!
It isn't the Bassboat, or Skiboat, or Speedboat, or Pontoomboat, or Jetski, etc.

IT"S THE DAM DRIVERS OF ALL THE ABOVE !!!!!!!!!! -> They Love their speed!!

As a 30 year professional Captain, "in the U.S. Merchant Marine with an Unlimited Tonnage License for ALL WATERS".
I can say with complete and verifiable "TRUTH" (per USCG Yearly Accident Statistics Exclamation ) that the vast majority of recreactional boaters nation wide ( "ARE THE WORSE -> THE WORSE Boaters/Mariners there are!!!!)
AND THEY GET WORSE EACH YEAR Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

They don't obey the rules of the road, cause wash and wakes, will plow past fishermen without slowing down bouncing them!, etc., etc.

NO MARINE COURTESY TOWARD OTHER BOATERS WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!

That's why I like West Hill so much! (as well as other small Ct. ponds and lakes with speed and horsepower restrictions.)

At WEST HILL:
Maximum speed "YEAR ROUND" is "15 mph day" and "6 mph at night!"
From Memorial Day to September 15 Maximum horsepower allowed is 8 hp!
NO SKIBOATS, SPEEDBOATS OR JETSKIS ALLOWED!!!

You want to play with SPEED!! -> GO to the big waters!!!!!!!!! Where there is plenty of room to do your thing with the noisy, gas guzzeling, stink machines!!!!
This statement also applies to those who have Quads and Snowmobiles and like to speed over ice. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Captain U.S.M.M.
jiggin stick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy......I'm glad I asked the quad question Confused As a first timer on this board I guess I didn't make a good impression.

I usually fish over by the point by the Boy Scouts property. A long hike from the launch. Although I often use a quad to get there with my 200 pounds of gear to keep my little fishermen comportable, we're always the first ones out way before light and the last ones off after dark. The passion is in all of us.

I to hate the knuckle heads racing all over. I was on Westhill hill last year and they were having snowmobile drag races all day. No care for me or my kids fishing. Had one windless trap get run over.

As for the accidents and keeping lakes clean, last weekend on east twin I had to tell a guy to close his tank vent on his auger. A puddle of gas was sitting on the ice because he laid his auger down with the tank down low Sad

Assuming you can forgive a nice guy with a bad back who loves to spend time with his 8, 10 and 12 year old boys fishing...............was there enough ice for a quad on Westhill??????? THANKS
Pauleye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Lakes and Quads Reply with quote

The best fishing waters seem to be the least restrictive: Candlewood, Highland, CT River, etc

Most lake damage is done by surrounding property. I love the lake associations that keep motors and fisherman off the water but don't do anything about homeowners with poorly maintained septic systems and well fertilized lawns.

I support responsible use of a quad and I don't own one.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pauleye!

WHAT Question Question Question

OK! Scooter -> Lesson 101 Shocked

The reason West Hill is the Cleanest and Clearest body of water in Ct. "IS" because the property owners around it made a "STRICT RULING" Arrow That "ABSOLUTELY NO" Sewerage, Phosphate, or any other Pollutants can get into the water column at West Hill Arrow AND THEY ENFORCE IT Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

And this is above and beyond federal/state requirements Exclamation Exclamation

ALSO Arrow They keep a sharp lookout to see that "ALL" who enjoy the use of West Hill abide by the law and help prevent the introduction of invasive species such as Alewife, Zebra Mussels, and un-wanted Weeds. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

You have to give "FULL CREDIT" to the pond association LAPOA, the Boy Scout Camp, the Girl Scout Camp, the Music Camp, and many others for their strong and continuous effort to keep WH in such a clean and healthy state.

"IN NO WAY CAN YOU SAY THE SAME ABOUT CANDLEWOOD, HIGHLAND, OR THE CT. RIVER what with fish kills, pollutants, and invasive species (mostly un-wanted weeds).
"WHICH ALL THESE WATERS HAVE Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation "

West Hill is by law open for public usage Exclamation
"ISN'T THAT NICE Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy "
Oh! And the state stocks an average of 17,000 trout and 70,000 Kokanee Salmon smolts yearly in West Hill.

Now if you have a problem with trying to be a good sportsman and a responsible citizen and abiding by the rules/laws to keep West Hill in the healthiest state possible for you and future generations " THEN DON'T COME and DON'T USE IT Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation "

"GO HAVE FUN ON THE LESS RESTRICTIVE WATERS YOU LISTED AND OBVIOUSLY PREFER Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation "

"END OF LESSON Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation "
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Razz

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Captain USMM

P.S. Oh! As an FYI Arrow I am "NOT" a tree hugging enviornmentalist as I do not agree with all the rules set by Ct. DEP Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: