CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: good saltwater lures?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: good saltwater lures? Reply with quote

I have been stocking up of lures over the winter, since i recieved a bunch of gift cards from clients I have been buying pretty much anything that has caught my eye. Most of what I've gotten are big rattle traps 1-1/2 oz and bigger, big storm baits, and verious stick/minnow lures.

What do most people use when running lures in saltwater? I really don't know since I have only fished with bait in the sound.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure to get some sluggos/hogyes bomber crank baits pencil poppers adams poppers buck tail jigs with pork rinds zoom mag super flukes with matching assored weighted swimming jig heads assorted tins cast masters and hopkins in 3/4-2 oz

Live The Code
"FEAR NO FISH"
tsavfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any questions come ask me at cabelas

Live The Code
"FEAR NO FISH"
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of Sluggo's and some monster jigging and casting spoons, don't have too many top waters, and I have a handfull of mann's stretch lures and bombers for when I troll of my buddy's boat.

Thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Saltwater Lures/Plugs Reply with quote

Below is a few basics to get you started that are simple to use. I'll assume you are casting from land so distance is important and the below works equally well in a boat. Saltwater tackle,like freshwater tackle, is broken down into topwater, swimmers, jigs, and plastics with each category having a dizzying array of variations.

Topwater: Stan Gibbs pencil poppers in white and or yellow. Yo-Zuri Mag Poppers (Silver/Dark back) or Atom poppers in blue/white. Reel the Yo-Zuri and/or Atom popper just fast enough to keep it on top with the rod tip high without "popping" the rod tip. It'll gurgle and the blues and bass can't lay off. I stopped "popping" poppers like I was having a seizure a long time ago. You have to work the pencil popper, however.

Swimmers: Bombers or bigger Yo-Zuri Magnum Crystal minnows in black back/silver body and get one with yellow in it specifically for bass.

Plastics: 9" Sluggos in alewife color or all white and pink with 11/0 Owner offset worm hooks. Pink, pink, and pink. Did I say pink? It's not a color that exudes testosterone but it catches the fish with 7 or 8 lines on each side. If you are fishing from a boat then add 5" Zoom superflukes in white. Use 5/0 Owner offset worm hooks. Most times you don't have to bother working these, just cast to breaking fish and wait for the slam.

Jigs: 6" salt shakers in white with 3/4 or 1 oz owner bullet heads.

If you have room buy a Hopkins metal spoon or two for the bluefish.

Buy knottable steel for blue fish leaders (American Fishwire). The same works for boats, too. The tackle shops along the coast (Old Saybrook/Lyme are extremely helpful as there focus is the salt).

Don't get caught up in buying $20 to $30 wooden plugs.

I hope this helps.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they are biting on top, a white pencil popper is excellent. I like the ones with the fatter bodies than the really skinny ones.
And when you need to be deeper, I have had pretty good luck with these guys in the 6" size,..they have excellent action even when reeled extremely fast!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageSWIMRIVER-R2SLBW.html#pImage

(Silver-side & new shad are the most productive colors for me in the salt.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: