CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Swim baits?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Swim baits? Reply with quote

What kind of swim baits is everyone using? I'd imagine color really depends on forage in the lake/river/pond you fish. What brands do you use? Hard or soft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started using KieTech and love them, they get great action, a lot of colors and sizes

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a wide variety of swimbaits ranging from little soft plastic Keitech or Kamikaz ones to the larger 3:16, or the hard baits like a Kingshad to Spro BBZ. Color does seem to matter, but I tend to think that the action has a lot more to do with it. I have tried a bunch and found you don't need to spend a ton of money on ones when cheap ones will do...especially when they are so soft and tear easily. My suggestion is to go to Cabelas and buy some cheap ones and try them for yourself.
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three largest LMB have all come on the 7" Tru-tungsten Tru Life swimbait (including the one in my avatar). These things are awesome. The action is ridiculous and they're versatile because of the way you can add and remove tungsten balls to go from a wake bait to a slow sinker to a fast sinker. Buy one and mess around with the retrieve. You can dead stick it, twitch it, steady retrieve, etc. It's awesome. You can actually make the thing turn around and "look behind" itself. I've got a bunch of the new 4" versions as well but haven't fished them long enough (about 10 casts in the West Hill tourney) to truly give you a report. Cobalt can vouch for the way they look in the water.

I'll also give a shout out to Mickey at 3:16 lures. His stuff is amazing in both the hard baits and soft (his No Bull frogs are awesome too, by the way). Detail is great, action is great. Pricey but worth it. I just ordered a few of the baby wakes, which are small for Mickey's lures, but plenty big for outside of California. Tons of guys are having a lot of success with the Berkley hollow body power baits, and Huddleston's are extremely effective as well.
pdcrack

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good info Phish, good to have people sharing this kind of knowledge. ty ty
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pricey, definitely Pricey. $60-$70 dollars for the swim baits...intresting.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, the bigger ones you're going to be throwing on 20-30# Fluoro or braid. I haven't lost one yet. However...I haven't had to deal with Pike yet either....
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost want to get them for Pike, but damn... that's an expensive fish.... Steel leader it is!

Phish

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. A lot of guys carry paint pens with them to fill in places where the paint gets chipped off one things like pike's teeth...or the occasional errant cast into a boulder...which Cobalt watched me do to my 7" bluegill. He needs a little touch-up work in the dorsal area.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually not a bad idea. I have an Xrap, brand new out of the package this year, and you can barely make out the color on the top and bottom. That was from a bunch of snot rocket pickerel.

RayC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best soft swimbait on the market is a Huddleston Deluxe!
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huddleston 8" trout is generally acknowledged as the most realistic bait on the market! I've actually forgot what I was throwing a few times and caught myself thinking it was a fish near the boat!! Laughing

Anytime you get bit on a Hud,..it's gonna be a nice fish but the swimbaits I've had the most luck with numbers-wise have been Mattlures baby bass & trout series baits. About $10 so they are not that bad pricewise and you can make them last a lot longer than you'd think by repairing them with superglue as they get torn up!

I throw them all on 20# fluoro and I don't remember ever losing one to a toothy fish (although they do get a bit torn up by them..)! Actually, I've found that pickeral/pike generally get triggered more by fast or erratic movement and very rarely bite a swimbait on a slow steady retrieve! If you are actually fishing for pike,..I think you'll have much better luck with a large jerkbait or spinnerbait than a swimbait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: