CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Have you "Done It" yet?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Have you "Done It" yet? Reply with quote

With 2/3 of winter behind us (so to speak) and the classic coming up, I finally took my reels off my rods wiped the reels down, re oiled them and spooled new line on all. I wiped my rods down and cleaned the cork handles, my GOD the corks were dirty. Shocked

I was pleasantly surprised as I went through my plano boxes and soft tackle bags and found that I don't need to buy too much to replace what I used up last season. I guess I didn't break off or loose as much as I thought. Now the cabin fever has got me in an ugly place. Thank GOD for fishing shows on TV, and the DVR to capture them all.

What were all you dirty minded fisherman thinking I was asking about? Laughing

Have you "Done It" yet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it last week... as i have at least ten rigs in my car at all times, i took me a while but it was very satisfying. i cleaned all my reels, respooled them all, setup some new pike rigs, then i lined them all up against the wall and thought to myself, "damn thats sexy"....went out today fished a bunch of places from shore, didnt catch anything, didnt think i would but it was better than goin to work...got the fever bad cant wait for the thaw!
On twenty-pound test "
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the warm air temps today, I was thinking about launching my aluminum on the CT river and hittin' the trash plant hot water discharge in Hartford, but then forgot that I have no batteries in the boat and old gas in the tank, and by the time I get set up to go it would be almost dark. I'm a bass tournament guy, and I don't usually get on the water until late March or early April, so I'll just wait it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I took all my baitcasters today all apart, down to the bare frames, I simple greened all the parts and replaced most of the bearings, I used some new ceramic bearings that are new to the market, they freespool pretty damn good, anyways one of the bearings that I could not find I had on the table and as I was polishing the tabs on a spool I watched the bearing roll off the table and my dog ate it, you got to be kidding me, I called Daiwa and they found me 1 thank god, I was freakin out. I didnt want to follow my dog around for a couple days looking threw his crap.
chumley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont you worry about that hot water discharge........................ lmao!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ready as well. Thought i was the only who re-spooled and tied on so early. Slimecoat, what do you use to clean the cork. Tralli said you were good at soaking the cork! LOL just kiddin boys.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tralli would know!...........

But I don't soak the cork, I stroke it vigorously, with a clean white rag, and a twisting motion moving down the cork slowly towards the butt end. Shocked I've got to stop, I am starting to get excited.
Laughing
My cleaning lubricant of choice is murphy's oil soap, but we were out of it, so I used some blakemore spray on line and reel conditioner and it worked surprisingly well.

Last edited by slimecoat on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Old Mud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimecoat wrote:
Tralli would know!...........

But I don't soak the cork, I strok it vigorously, with a clean white rag, and a twisting motion moving down the cork slowly towards the butt end. Shocked I've got to stop, I am starting to get excited.
Laughing
My cleaning lubricant of choice is murphy's oil soap, but we were out of it, so I used some blakemore spray on line and reel conditioner and it worked surprisingly well.

Laughing Laughing Laughing OK now that is FUNNY ~!!!!!!!! you should try KY it's nice and slippery !!!! Laughing Laughing (So i'm told) Shocked Very Happy

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone post some good info on yearly maintenance (cleaning, oiling and greasing) for BC and spinning reels.

Justin
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First have a nice open work area, be very careful taking the covers off you dont want a spring to fling, take the reel apart and put the parts in order, grease is ONLY for gears,I wash all my parts in simple green,my buddy uses lighter fluid, I use quantum Hot sauce on the bearings, just a drop, any moving parts should be besides the gears should be sauced, their are sites online under cleaning reels, take your time, have plenty of light, I have been replacing my BC reel bearings with ceramic bearings which is incredible, another thing ive been doing is polishing,DONT SAND the little nipples on my BC spools, with a dremel, INCREDIBLE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: