CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Trolling Motor Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reel Time21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Trolling Motor Help Reply with quote

I have an 18 foot cobia center console and I'm looking to put a bow mount trolling motor on it. I have looked at both minn kota and motorguide and have narrowed it down to a minn kota. However, the boat weighs around 2500# and i am not sure how much thrust I will need. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reel Time 21!

As a professional mariner I always work from "Worst Case Senario" down! -> That is -> Will I need the bow unit as an auxiliary "Get Home" source of propulsion.

Also check to see which brand has the least number of breakdowns, and availability of replacement parts and service.

On "BIG WATER" -> I'd go with the highest thrust unit for your boats weight.
That may mean adding sufficient batteries to power the unit for "X" amount of time.

This suggestion is really a Safety and Life Saving matter.

REMEMBER -> "When on the water, "MURPHY'S LAW WILL PREVAIL Exclamation "

Best regards,
SeaDog1
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to use it in salt as well as fresh water? If so, get a saltwater model they are made with special coatings and alloys so they don't rust out. You should definately stay away from the 12 volt models and go with something stronger, at least a 24 volt 80 lbs of thrust minimum. If you have the cash a 36 volt 101 lb thrust will do everything you want it to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeltime, 82 lb is the least you should look into anything bigger is better, there is a formula for thrust to weight but I dont know it, its not much, I would also consider a motorguide Great White or something used for saltwater, they do come with a diode and are made for salt harsh enviroments, Like Slimy said a freshwater unit will not last long in salt.
OldBassTurd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you Google "trolling motor chart" you'll see a link to Bass Pro that is called "Choosing the right Trolling Motor." It's a good article and offers some insight on power and type of motor, as well as options such as shaft length, self-directional motors, etc.

I made the mistake of putting a 12 volt model on my 16 footer, and I'm looking to go to a 24-volt model with more thrust (I have 30 pounds which is fine when there is no wind and no heavy weeds.) With two guys fishing, it's tough to get through weeds or go against a strong headwind.....I'm going to have to upgrade to about 50 lbs minimum.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reynolds Marine in Old Lyme (800-899-0028) can help you with your selection. They are also a Minn Kota repair center.

Remember to check how long the shaft needs to be. (Flippy, You have a dirty mind..!)

Their prices are as low as Bass Pro and you don't have to pay for shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: