CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Whats are your thoughts on cheating in bass tournaments? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Whats are your thoughts on cheating in bass tournaments? Reply with quote

Anyone ever fish a tournament where u suspected someone(s) of cheating to win. I never understood that. In my opinion that is the same thing as if they went and held up everyone in the vent at gunpoint and stole their money. If you are that desparate for $$$ get a job.I fish for,the joy of finding that special "zone" and beating the fish at their game,the comeraderie that is with a fishing partner,and the peacefullness (sometimes) of being on the water..especially at 70 +mph!
Johnny
slimecoat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, that it is sometimes hard to prove the team has cheated.

But you also have to keep in mind, that even the least likely team to win a tournament, is every once in a great while going to have the day of their life, and it usually has nothing to do with their skill or lack of skills, they just happened to be at the right place at the right time and boated a crap load of big fish. The good thing is that it probably won't happen again for a very very long time.

But I also agree, that I do not ever want to win by cheating. I feel much better, and I take more pride in knowing my partner and I won fair and square, and laid the ever lovin' smack on all the other teams by doin' it right, figuring out a winning pattern, and executing a plan and a couple baits to make it all come together. If you can do that consistently, I feel you will make more money in the long run and be a better fisherman for it. I would rather come back to the launch with my tail between my legs with a light livewell or a skunk in the boat, than have won by cheating. It is more insentive to fish smarter and harder the next time out.

And most of all, "ALL CHEATERS EVENTUALLY GET CAUGHT!" in one way or another. It's just not worth it![/b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Johnny unfortunetly it happens and it sucks. How often does it happen, I dont know. I hope it happens less than we think. There have been many times where I've wondered where the fish that were weighed in came from. But unless people get caught actually cheating, all you can do is extend your hand and say nice job. I think some people feel that its more important to win or more important to steal than taking hte time and just learning how to fish.

However, all my thoughts about accusing without proof changed when Doug and I got accused of cheating after we destroyed everyone at the last call-in-sick tournament. It felt horrible and quite frankly made me really re-think how I thought when someone really came in with a huge bag. Not to mention it hurt like hell and really ruined my enthusiasim and credibility as ignorant people spread untrue rumors.

As Gary said, some guys just have the day of their lives. That's what happened to us. I found the mother load of all bass and we caught em! So, I have a new look on things and I never ever point my finger anymore unless I have total proof. And still to this day I have never caught anyone in the act. God help anyone if I ever do though!! So until then, I just extend my hand and say "nice job"..... Karma's a bitch!!! Smile
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People that cheat have no integrity and no ethics. It is a character flaw that can't be changed, you are either a cheater or you are not.

I would rather compete honestly and come in dead last in every tourney I fished in then compromise my integrity to score higher. What is the point of fishing tourney's if you are just going to cheat? There is no honor in accepting a prize you didn't earn, not to mention the fact that you are dicking the people that played by the rules.

If a person is caught cheating they should be black balled from all future tournament.

We should make a sticky thread called "Cheaters" that list the names of those caught red handed cheating in a tourney. This may or may not deter cheaters but at least it will identify the people that have been caught and help prevent them from entering future tourneys.

Justin
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheating at Fishing is just as bad as cheating at mens slowpitch softball or kicking your ball out of the rough in golf. I sit back and laugh at these losers that pay 500 bucks for a softball bat to be repainted so they can`t hit a softball farther or the 2 dollar nassau golfer who rolls the ball over so they have a better shot at winning a couple dollars.

Anyone that does this has absolutely no integrity and should be castrated or stuck in a fishtank thats 5 feet and has spiked edges naked, filled with live blue crabs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it happens, but whats your idea of cheating, is it having fish in a pot, live bait, or having a friend meet you somewhere with fish? i have fished tournies where a team came to the ramp 15 minutes late and start the tournie without their livewell being checked, i have seen fish come in that had totally different color than the rest of the fish caught, its a touchy situation and if you present that to the tourny director you better be sure!! I see guys cheat all the time, not from having fish but breaking tournie rules, like trolling, getting on their cell phones to share info on where their catching them, and so on. IT HAPPENS ALOT. Never mind the courtesy, have you ever gone to a spot and stop 20 ft from it only to have a boat race up and get right on that spot. Cheaters usually get the hint when their really not wanted at a tourny or not invited. What I have learned in the years of fishing is that most fresh water guys (which i am) are very to themselves and saltwater guys are very open, its to bad that most freshwater guys dont have that mentality.But freshwater and saltwater angling are 2 different beasts. Just my 2 cents.All I got to say is that you will never see a saltwater guy with a better looking THONG than mine.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Flippy, I too have witnessed some of what you talk about during tournaments. Some of the issues should not be tolerated by the tournament directors, such as coming to the weigh in late, and sharing info on the water via cell phone. The courtesy thing needs to be dealt with on the water right when it happens. Pointing dog and I have blasted a few people on the water for getting too close to where we are fishing. We try the good cop first, then if things are getting ugly, we take no prisoners.

We haven't had things go bad enough that I had to drop my drawers and show them my thong! Shocked It brings new meaning to the term "instant sea sickness"! Laughing Laughing

I agree that there are plenty of ways that guys can cheat, but hopefully with enough verbal harassment at the time of the questionable ethics, they will think twice about it the next time.

Or maybe they just need a mushroom stamp! Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO @ "THE STAMP"!!!!! Laughing
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you and Johnny would appreciate that! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it sucks but it does happen. My dad and I where fishing in a club where we suspected someone of cheating. It got so bad that we ended up leaving the club because we where sick of giving him our money since he was in the top 3 about 90% of the time. He was blackballed out of one club and then the club we where fishing in actually had him running the tourny's so there where no livewell checks or anything. it's a shame that some people just don't have morals...
Stratos17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really......People actually cheat in tournaments. I would have thought the only cheating would be live bait. ther are fisherman that actually sneak fish in? I am not a tourny fisherman. I do it for fun. Dont get me wrong, I like competition as well. Fishing and hunting just help me to chill and relax. I thought the reason for checking live wells was to make sure they worked so you wouldnt kill fish. Jeeeshh... Like in everything else...chances are if you suspect someone is cheating....they probably are. Tough thing to prove
CT Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Cheating Reply with quote

Oh yeah, let me catch ya! I have spent the last 20 years in jail(working). I think that I can handle spending some time for assault. It will be worth it. I myself like Justin was accused of cheating. Voices of jealous people who don't want to put the time on the water to win. If you accuse you better have proof because you can ruin a legitimate anglers reputation. I'm sure cheating goes on. HOPE someone else catches you and not ME. Proof is hard to come by but everyone should be on the lookout. As a tournament director, I look out for snags and discoloration of fish. If a fish is dead I can determine how long a fish has been dead. Please, please come to my tournaments with a cheating bag and let me throw you off of this planet.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ALL!

Well, Well, WELL Exclamation
Shocked, Amazed, and Happy Exclamation

Everyone that made a post on this topic duely deserves the title SPORTSMAN Exclamation

I am really happy and proud to be on this forum with guys such as you that show real integrity in their sport.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Jerryinct

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that on any given day the fish gods can smile down upon someone. Think about it if the people in your club etc are pretty steady fisherman they get to win once in awhile. What I don't care for is when 2 people in the same boat fishing a non team event pool their fish. This was one of the reasons I stopped fishing club etc tournies. I don't care to give my money to better fisherman on a steady basis. I rather fish with friends, have some laughs and catch a few fish without time constraints etc. If fish aren't biting throw the boat on the trailer and just go home. Lots of hustlers out there . I wish them all the best.
Rippin' Hawgs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbernet creek sound fermiliar??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: