CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Offshore Fishing
Viewing Topic: hey old mud (Hand lining)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quint's Revenge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: hey old mud (Hand lining) Reply with quote

Do you do any handlining for giants up your way?
Old Mud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: hey old mud (Hand lining) Reply with quote

Quint's Revenge wrote:
Do you do any handlining for giants up your way?

Hi Mike: I know a few guys that still handline, but they havn't been out the last couple of years. There hasn't been but a few caught because we have been haveing bait problems. What bait there was was wiped out by the pair trawlers on Jeffries and Platts in July, I was there and saw it first hand!! Not a pretty site to see All that ground fish(Cod, Haddock, Whiting, Pollock etc.) Just culled over the side as bycatch. So much for Mid Water nets. OOPS! Off tract!! Yeah most guys now use rod & reel. If you can afford the gear it is a lot safer!!. If you handline you know what I'm talking about. .

For the most part the older guys are giving up or dying off and that way of life is going with them.

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
Quint's Revenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just what it sounds like no rod and reel. Some of the supplies needed for handlining are a basket, rope,Anchor balls,mason line, brass shackles,very heavy duty hooks, a harpoon, 15lb blues (live preferably) we also likesd to use whiting,cod, and yes dogfish we used soda bottles for floats and a ton of patience.

This type of fishing is very affective but extremely dangerous.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basicly it is tug-of-war with a shark!!!!! Shocked Shocked

You guys are twisted!!!!! Twisted Evil
Old Mud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. MIKE : You forgot one thing!!!, A bucket of NADS!!. No one ever said Fishermen were SMART !! Embarassed Embarassed . All kidding aside quite a few fishermen were lost in the past ,(pulled over, tangled in lines, etc.) If one can imagine A hook up and 200 fathoms of line screeming out of that basket, in the mean time you'r trying to clear the other lines. Not coiling them neetly into the baskets, but rather just dropping them on the deck!! Starting the engine, dropping the mooring, getting the poon out and making sure the lines are not tangled. Well you get the Idea.LOL. A CLUSTER!!. Shocked All of that and for the most part folks that fish handlines would never give it up. ADRENALINE is a wonderfull thing! Very Happy

Sorry for the rant got carried away!! I know you know what I'm talking. Very Happy

Chuck. That's Giant Bluefin TUNA ! Very Happy Very Happy

Quint's Revenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right the most important thing is NADS!!!! Mud while reading your last post all of those things played out in color as i am sure they did for you while typing it. Man... there is no bigger rush than after sitting on a ball for 2 days the rope starts ripping out of that basket and the combat begins the screamers were the best 200-300 lbers you never saw rope move so fast in your life.
Old Mud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevnseat wrote:
it sounds like simultaneously the dumbest and coolest thing I've ever heard of.

HA HA HA Never thought of it that way but YUP !!!! It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! Smile Very Happy Very Happy

I am on my way right NOW! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Offshore Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: