CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: line slip
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basspredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: line slip Reply with quote

im having a problem with line slipping, im trying to put Sufix Elite 20 lb test on my spining reel but everytime i flip my bail it all just jumps off, my reel has the grooves in it for the line to rest but it dosint stay, i know that im over the recomended line size but i want to put heavier line on than 12 lb, i dont know what to do please help... Sad
dave_376

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sound like your spool diameter is too small for the line. you may also have too much line on it. try stripping some off and use some line conditioner like the KVD stuff. or just use braid
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use braided line. you may have to tie mono onto the reel first though, it works better trust me.
On twenty-pound test "
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspredator, Is the problem just line "jumping" off the spool, or is it "slipping" on the spool? Because they are 2 different problems.

Line "jumping" off the spool is usually either too much line being reeled onto the spool when new line is first put on a reel, or it was reeled onto the spool with the incorrect direction of line memory on top. This line memory issue can be prevented by flipping the spool over as soon as you notice line twist while spooling the new line on a spinning reel. Your line when finished spooling should be at least 1/8" from the outside edge of the top of the spool near the drag control.

The line "slipping" on a spinning reel at the point of attachment to the spool can be prevented as follows. You need to put a few wraps of black electrical tape on the spool before tying the new line to the spool, then reel the new line on the spool. The line will bite into the black electrical and not slip on the spool.

Hope this helps.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use line heavier than 10-12#,..then get a baitcaster, that's what they're made for!!
(Otherwise go to braid like the others have suggested!)
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of fishing are you doing with a spinning rod that you need more than 12# test for?

12# floro is what I put on all my spinning rods. There aren't many freshwater fish that are going to break 12# floro or mono if you have the drag set correctly. Maybe a monster pike with razor sharp teeth, or a giant carp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: