CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: what a freaking day....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdcrack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: what a freaking day.... Reply with quote

Ugh this has to be one of the strangest days of my life...
Sorry for the wall of text in advance. Dont read if you have a weak stomach.

For my senior design project at school, my group is working on a surgical stapler to help with the pancreatomy surgery. Anyway, my group members and I were asked by our advisor to go observe a surgery which is about a 7-8 hour procedure.

Anyhow, we get to the hospital at 830am, the surgeon told us the procedure was going to begin at 9. We put on some scrubs, get on our hairnets and facemasks, and walk into the OR. Well apparently our doctor had been tasked with performing another surgery prior to the pancreatomy. Lucky us....

The patient happened to be about a 55-60 year old, maybe 300 pound african american woman with a shaved head and 4 inch long fingernails. What a treat....
Well, the doctor proceeded to put her legs up on supports and "remove an abscess from the left groin" of the patient, which happened to be uncomfortably close to something else if you know what i mean. After some scalpal work and burning of flesh the ugliness was over. God that smell...the god damn smell...it was like burning hair times 100.

Enough of that...moving on to the pancreatomy. The doctor makes an upside down "V" shaped incision with 2 7 to 8 inch cuts on the patients abdomen. Above him they placed a oval shaped support in which his skin was then clamped to in order to keep the whole gaping wide enough to work. This was like straight outta a discovery health show, and i was 5-6 feet from it inside the OR, wow...

After 5 hours or so, I had to leave in order to make it back to campus for my thermodynamics class. About a block from the hospital, i was struck by a car while crossing the street on my bike by some jackass who was making an illegal right on red. After being thrown to my hip and skinning my elbow to the bone THROUGH MY WINTER JACKET, i stood up only to realize he had driven away. God i love the city. I love my life. I love today. FFFFFFFFFFFFF

[/rant]
dave_376

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that suckkkkkkkksssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
sorry to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked Pete, I'm sorry to hear that you got clipped, but it could have been much worse than your hip and elbow. I hope you make a speedy recovery. Was it the elbow of your casting arm? Sad I hope they catch the creep who hit and ran. Where there any witnesses who got the plate or a description of the car?

Thanks for the descriptive update on the 300#er with the long nails. It's too bad it couldn't have been foot surgery right, but no it had to be close to the.......yaaaaahhhh.

Some body get me a bucket, I think I'm going to be sick from the self visual..........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Gary
Unfortunately it is my casting arm, but i think i should be fine by the ice out T. Its only a bruise, a pretty deep one, but still just a bruise. I didnt catch any of his info and I was riding in the hood so to speak so i doubt any bystanders would have told me they saw it even if they did.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! That is a bad day. I agree the story could have been told minus the 300# er...lol
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that about the hood. It's amazing how most good hospitals are in undesireable areas!

Pete as for the Elbow in the upcoming ice out tournament, plenty of Motrin before, during, and after -mix it with plenty of beer and you'll be fine. It's a tried and true plan of attack, and has been working for me for years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to be lots of beer going down this weekend, theres a huge bar crawl all day saturday.
Old Mud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAM !!! be carefull out there Pete, remember your down in Yokelville now !!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pdcrack the same thing happend to my casting arm. My buddy was casting a crankbait and it got caught on ice Laughing. So while trying to free it with an insane amount of pressure it breaks free and flys right into my elbow. I had two hooks in me one that went in and came out and the other that when in and I think hit bone because it was a little bent when I pulled it out. Somehow the hook went through my flannel jacket and longsleeve shirt. But there was no blood which was weird just skin and arm hair.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you mending Pete?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimecoat wrote:
How are you mending Pete?

Im good to go Gary, thanks for asking.
Got one more final exam on Friday morning then im back to CT.
See you Saturday morning sir.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Pete you won't see me, because I can't make this one, but good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimecoat wrote:
Well Pete you won't see me, because I can't make this one, but good luck.

oh yea lol...
Thanks though, i appreciate it. Maybe ill see you out on the water once more before I head out to the midwest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: