CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Bought a Jon Boat...gonna try to mod it
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Bought a Jon Boat...gonna try to mod it Reply with quote

Hey guys- I bought a Pelican 12x4ft plastic Jon Boat. Came with two oars, two seats, a 54 lb thrust trolling motor, and an Eagle fishfinder. Got it off craigslist...not a bad deal I didn't think.

Going to do a few things to her- Take out the 'astroturf' style carpet he has on the seats and use the bracing to add on a front deck platform to fish off of. Gonna put storage in this area as well. Thinking about putting a removable flooring in as well..but I'm concerned as to how much weight that might add.

Gonna have to take apart the seats and clean them up a bit.

You guys have any ideas for mods? Other comments??

I gotta post the pic in a minute...gotta resize it..thing was giant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this size is more reasonable..haha. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGH , COOL, What did you name her??? Laughing If you do put a front deck on that I would maybe look into aluminum, it is much lighter than wood, if you make it out of wood becareful its not front heavy, they do sell a middle insert at cabelas that has a cooler, cupholders, you could possibly convert the cooler to a livewell, or maybe it has one, then you could fish some small lake tournys Very Happy,
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on fishing in the rain, I would suggest installing a bilge pump in the stern. You can power it off the trolling motor battery, as it will not pull that much power away from the trolling motor as it is a low use item, but it will save your feet from getting soaked in downpours. I agree with flippy, watch the weight in the front end, plywood may not be the answer. The marine industry is also using a plastic sheeting that comes in different thicknesses for boat decks as well, I can't remember the name of the product, but I've seen it in the saltwater Bass Pro catalog in years past. I don't know if it is lighter than aluminum though? You'll have to do your homework..........

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just go to a pond and use it. you will figure out what you NEED each and every time you go out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys- Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far. I appreciate it..this is my first boat of any kind so I want to make it pretty nice so I can use it for at least a few years...gotta think economical here, we're in tought times!!!

I really want to put some kind of front decking in...aluminum might be the answer.

Bilge pump is not a bad idea either- I have a lot to learn about boating.

I can't wait to get her out...even without any motor, I'll take the oars out and get her out on the water and see how she does as is first.

Flippy- I haven't named her yet...I never name something untill I use it first, gotta get a feel for the "personality" of it...you know what I'm saying?

Keep commenting guys- All suggestions are appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BGH!

Old mariner's superstition is you never put to water in a boat that hasn't a name -> BAD LUCK!

SeaDog1
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put some rod holders on the sides for trolling and for storage
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassgethooked, while you're thinking about all the modifications don't forget to obtain your boaters certificate if you don't have one already. Like Turtlekiss found out, even for a small boat like that you better have all your paperwork (certificate & registration) on you when the DEP or the Police come checking.
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1- Ahh, is that so? In that case I'll have to name her first- Got to respect the traditions and superstitions of the mariner world!

Bass4me- The boat actually comes stock with 4 rod holders..they are located on either side of the front and rear bench seats, you can make them out in the picture if you look for them. As for storage I'm thinking about building storage into the decking.

SkeeterJim- I don't have it registered or have my boaters license yet. Was going to do the work first, get her in shape a bit. But I'm gonna look online to see when the next boating cert classes are so I can try to get that out of the way shortly. I definately want to be legit if DEP/ the cops come checking me out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the work I've done thus far-- I took out the seats (which was a pain) and the astro turf carpeting...which the previous owner screwed into place with about 30 screws per bench seat...came off pretty easy once unscrewed though.

So here is the stripped down boat:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was mine i would remove the front/middle seat but keep the rear for a buddy. I would get a piece of 3/4 plywood (you could use 1/2 if you added some form of support in the middle)and attach it to the front withe some big stainless steel hinges, you would have one large storage area under the deck. Paint the ply with several coats of oil based stair paint and then add the carpet. I would not raise the deck too high for fear of stability especially with a good hookset with a Jig. I also like a lip around the deck since it helps keep rods and other stuff from getting kicked over. They sell trays to put 3700 boxes in, they might be a great idea to put just in front of the middle seat.
billybass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet deal....you can really trick that thing out for a little money..if the middle bench and the front bench are the same height thats were i would try and do the deck with some hinge trap door for you batterys and whatever..but i would do it off the orignal bench not that wood build up on there now..just because the higher you get the the more the boat will rock......I have done simailar stuff to my 12ft lowe ...I built the floor up only a 2 inches with brace then put marine grade down in the back ,,,middle ,,and front then carpeted everything ,,I ran wires threw the boat for power and lights .....so when you stand you are on smooth carpeted deck instead of alluminum all around ....but thats a nice little project make sure you post your progress.......oh check out utube and type in jon boat modifications....that will surely get you thinking, ...good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: