CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: striper help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colburn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: striper help Reply with quote

hey Ive always wanted to catch strippers but i don't exactly know the gear, bait, and locations ( ive heard they go all the way up the ct river). can anyone give me a few pointers so i can try it sometime this week? like rod size/line, etc? can i catch them from shore? (i have no boat access) thanx in advance.

p.s. i don't know if this in the correct forum because they are a type of bass swim in rivers and the ocean
colburn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im dumb. can a mod please move this to the non-report section. sry
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stripers move into the rivers this time of year following the alewifes & other baitfish which are here to spawn. The usual gameplan is to fish shallow flats on the river,..especially during times of low light. This is where the stripers like to trap the baitfish and is where you can have a lot of fun if you are there in hte right place at the right time. Other good spots are at the mouths of coves & rivers,..especially when the water is flowing out!

Usual artificials are anything that looks like a baitfish,.. jerkbaits, swimbaits, surface plugs, etc etc.. White is always a good bet, but almost anything works at one time or another! You can also catch them on live bait,..usually sandworms or chunks of bunker (menhaden).

The hottest action is always during the month of May,..but they begin to show around now and will taper back off during the first two weeks of June!

People use all sorts of tackle to catch them. You can handle the smaller ones on freshwater bass tackle,..however if you latch onto a cow,..it'll take your bait along with all your line if you're using less than about 15# test on a decent-sized reel with good drag! Personally, I use 20# line on heavy-action bass rods but I know a lot of folks like 30# braid on spinning tackle. Surfcasting gear is also real popular with the guys that fish from shore!!
colburn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank-you. i think im gonna try to go tonite. i just need to find some money to get a bigger real for my med action rod and some line. again thanks for the help. now if i happen to latch onto one when i get it to shore do i grab it like a LMB (by the jaw)?
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,..they have no teeth so you lip them just like a freshwater bass!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: