CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Partners
Viewing Topic: Opening Day - Black Pond 4/17 (don't laugh) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkO wrote:
"Why am I not invited to these pre-opening day parties? "

You most certainly are. You have a fishing license, your boat is registered, you have a safe boater license and most importantly, you have the passion to fish. I'm not sure where it was it was impressed that you're not invited to go.

"Why don't you share the magic of opening day with your daughter at Black Pond?"

I am in the middle of a 3 month, seven days a week work stint with the occasional day off. But I will live vicariously through all of your's and everyone else's posts.
Also, I consider myself a bass guy and the few times I did do opening day, I saw the worst that CT has to offer in fisherman who will probably not fish much more than that day or a few more in the following weeks. No need to go into the swearing, puking, or occasional fight that breaks out from an over crowded situation. Will I take my daughter into a situation like that, probably not when she will have just as much fun catching sunnies at the local pond.

I wish you the very best of luck and will be looking forward to your post on Saturday or Sunday.

Mark

I'll photograph the people lined up on shore (from my boat) around 6 a.m if it's not pouring. It's supposed to be be cold and rainy. I just want to get there in time to secure the last parking space that doesn't require walking up the hill.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't get any sleep tonight. It's cold and raining lightly but consistently right now, which isn't ideal for me, but I'm going anyway. It will be interesting to see if any other morons decide to launch in this weather. I hope 5 layers of clothing is enough...a t-shirt, 2 sweatshirts, a flimsy poncho, and an old Starter jacket made of "polyurethane-coated nylon." I hope that means it's good enough to keep me warm and dry for 12 hours.

I've got 4 rods set up:
1 equipped with the Bite Lite rattletrap thing that I fished out of Lower Moodus.
1 drop shot rig, to be used with the 50+ nightcrawlers I harvested after that rainy spell
1 trout rig with tiny hooks, to be Powerbaited.
1 vintage wooden lure. Maybe I'll post a pic later...looks like an early-model torpedo.

Update to follow...have a great day everyone! Smile

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck out there. Opening day weekend is probably the only weekend of the season that I am glad to not be fishing.

Justin
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even imagine what the turnout would have been like if the forecast was halfway decent. I'm used to parking next to the launch instead of 1/4 mile uphill. I was expecting fewer boats...didn't really make the connection until I saw them all bunched up along the trouty side. That was my plan too (except I would have released mine.) I forgot my waders in the truck and I couldn't convince myself to walk back to it. Everything about the day was surreal. I couldn't launch near the water because the ramp was a mud pit and I've got rear-wheel drive. Bass Sniper, was that really you? Thanks for helping me unload my boat into the mud.

Now I'll complain about how much the weather sucked. It was cold & it rained. On, off, inconsistent. I was comfortable in my 5 layers at 5 a.m., but my polyurethane-coated jacket was slowly absorbing water throughout the day. It did OK, but couldn't withstand the 4 p.m. hailstorm. That's when I gave up, docked in the mud & hiked up to my truck, which was the only vehicle still parked on the hill. There would be photos, if putting the camera back the case didn't get old after 1 time.

Does the DEP always pretend they're "conducting a survey" (*cough* license check) on opening day? Good...I hope they caught more than I did. In other news...my bladder is a MACHINE & I could not kill my Die Hard, no matter how recklessly I used 5th speed.

MarkO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting out Kira. The day does take on a life of its own unlike any you will see for the rest of the year. I tip my hat to you for sticking it out through the bad weather, also. Go figure with all the nice weather we've had the last two months.

And yes, the DEP tries to put on the non intrusive look when there are are numbers present. Its not so bad considering the times when you will go through a boat check and multi license/registration check. That takes on a whole Gestapo feel, unlike any you see...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Partners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: