CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: White Oaks 4/18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven1smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: White Oaks 4/18 Reply with quote

Headed out to white oaks cove today figuring that the slightly higher water would make it easier to get in, and I was right. But, launching out of wethersfield cove was not easy. The back wheel of the truck was just about submerged and we still had to get the waders on and push the boat off of the trailer. That was the bad part. The ride out of the cove and down the river was smooth, and we didn't even have to pull the gas motor up to get into the cove.

Now for fishing. We started using small shiners near submerged trees for crappie but didn't even get one bite. Started throwing deep diving crankbaits near deep structure(12-15ft) and nothing. Started throwing lipless cranks near large trees in the water and finally got a dink lmb, 8 inches. Then 10 minutes later caught a 1 pounder. Nothing for the rest of the time.

Also, there was ALOT of fish jumping, and I mean ALOT. Only got one glimpse of a fish jumping, looked like a lmb about 15-16 inches, and it was atleast two feet out of the water. There were some bigger splashes, but most of them were smaller. Does anyone know why they might have been jumping? There weren't any baitfish jumping out of the water, so I am really puzzled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ

Last edited by steven1smith on Tue May 20, 2014 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pdcrack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the carp are the jumpers. Guaranteed.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like pdcrack said they may most likely be carp that are jumping although you will on occasion see a bass jump after dragonflies/bugs that are above the water surface.
CTPete

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, jumping carp. Brings me back to my youth when I had my first little bass boat and I was fishing Lake Lillinonah down in New Milford....my brother and i found a small cove that really looked like a great bass spot and we got in there and were surrounded by jumping fish....had never seen anything like it, but I was really new to fishing....it was getting toward dusk and we couldn't get a good look at the fish....

I'm thinking topwater action and started throwing everything I could at these monsters hitting topwater but never got a strike or even a bump....then I finally saw one in the water.....grass carp were spawning and going nuts in this cove....some of them were four feet long.....and though I've seen carp getting nuts since then, I've never seen it that crazy...we still laugh about how excited we got, casting a hundred times at those giant vegetarians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: