CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester Lake 4/10 Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the water temp CT Pete. Next time you're there and the water is that cold, try throwing slower moving baits like a jig, jerkbait, tube, worm, senko, that sort of thing, and keep it slow. Or slowly vertically jig a blade bait in those suspended fish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but i get a 60 dat grace period right?
On twenty-pound test "
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Sniper wrote:
yea but i get a 60 dat grace period right?

I just went through all of this. Go to the DMV, register the boat, and give them some money. Take the "safe boater certification" class and give them some money. After you take the class, go to the DEP with your diploma (and $50) and request a (free) "limited durational certificate" - you need to have this on the boat until the actual safe boater certificate arrives in the mail. The temp. certificate is good for 60 days, but you need to pass the class first. Oh yeah, and more money for the battery, motor & charger. I assume you already got your fishing license.

I'm dirt poor now but it's totally worth it. BTW, I've beaten the hell out of my battery...I tried so hard to kill it by using the highest speed to zip around for 10 hours, but there was no loss of power. I've got to recommend it for living up to its name:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02827582000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Marine+Batteries

So it's likely you'll be paddling on opening day....will you be joining me at Black Pond?

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

def wont be paddling on opening day or going to black pond.
On twenty-pound test "
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sniper If you are looking for a pike... and you can tough it out one more time at Winchester... try a more sublte approach. Winchester is a WEIRD lake, where it looks like a ShangRiLa for Pike, yet they are super finicky in there.
Throw jigs with big trailers, (craw papi are my personal fav), or creatures or soooie's with NO weight, and the shortest steel you can find (3-4") let em drop slow.

you may just hook some pike, or maybe even a sweet hawg.

Bring a few chatter baits in case you get bored throwing the jigs...
there are only 3 ponds I ever throw chatter baits.... and winchester is one of em.
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know whats funny? I had my bass stuff with me too AND took a jig off one of my rods to throw a smaller spoon out on. guess i shoulda just used the jig. Thanks for the tip, im not done with Winchester by far, that lake and I have a score to settle.
On twenty-pound test "
robby91/2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeeters right i got busted at that very lake about 12 years ago i didnt get a ticket but i had to leave the motor in the truck
ive been to winchester 3 times int the last week or so and only one rat bass
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Sniper the only time I picked up a pike there was on a Storm Kickin Shad at about 16 inches. According to the old guy that fishes in the back cove there is supposedly a 40 inch plus pike in there that has 3 of his hooks. Rolling Eyes Never night fish there because all you will hear is him talking to him self.
basswacka19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out to walum lake in MA on saterday. I got there around 2:30pm and fished until about 5:00,only managed one little smallie and a pickerel but i had a 3+ smallie snap me off right at the boat. It woulda been worth freezing my balls off if i landed her but nope, shoulda checked my line a little better after bumping into all them rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Slimecoat.....
actually, we did slow fish all morning and into the afternoon....barely stitching senkos and jerkbaits....even some drop-shot-draggin.....to no avail.....once I was into the stumps around noontime, though, the wind was howling....between the wind and the current it was too tough to slow fish.....either the wind or my trolling motor was the winner....back and forth.....who knows, we'll watch the reports and maybe give it a shot once more this year....but my favorite spots at Highland are calling me, and I'm really interested in introducing my "new" boat to some old friends there.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: