CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Does a snap/swivle effect the action of a lure?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Does a snap/swivle effect the action of a lure? Reply with quote

Hey everyone I only have 1 rod (2 if my dad doesnot fishbut his is 20+ years old) so I can't just swap rods to change lures like most of you do. Does a snap/swivle really make a difference in the lure presantion(the big fish I have caught were with no snap/swivle but that might be coincidence).

thanks in advance for any help
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use a snap swivel for slow moving baits like jigs, tubes, worms, senkos etc. I think the fish see it and it turns them off.

I have heard people using them on drop shot set ups to eliminate line twist, but I don't use them there either. I might use one on a crankbait, spinner bait, or chatter bait, because the bait is usually moving so fast that it cannot be seen as it is a reaction strike type bait for the most part. Most of us bass guys re- ty so frequently that we do it in our sleep, and just don't use swivels at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks. Thumbs Up
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap swivels will make a difference (good and bad) on certain baits. They will negatively effect the way some hard baits like Rapalas and other jerkbait type lures run underwater that is why it is better to tie directly to the lure with a loop knot and not a knot cinch tied tightly to the lure eye loop. But on the other hand swivels used with worms / carolina rigs will prevent the spiral action of those lures reeled through the water to twist your line. So there are pros and cons of using swivels. Just get used to tying knots very quickly and it won't be a big deal. Being a bass fisherman you should be re-tying often after so many fish or after lines get knicked dragging through cover.

Jim
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about topwater lures like poppers,props, and frogs?
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunker Cove wrote:
what about topwater lures like poppers,props, and frogs?

I don't think tying directly to poppers, props and frogs should be a negative factor here. Those baits are using other means of attracting the bass. The popper baits (the concave portion of the bait front), the props are (using the props) and the frog is basically the body being jerked through the water surface. Now on the other hand the diving crank baits that have bills in front really need to have the freedom to wiggle side to side as the bait was designed to. Lines tied directly to them will inhibit the action in some way however minute it may be. By tying with a loop knot or a split ring will give the bait the freedom it needs to move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: