CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Need some good salt water rods reels...any sugestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Need some good salt water rods reels...any sugestions Reply with quote

Alright scince I am moving in a week and we are buying a boat in a month, I figured this is a good time to start lookong at some rods. Here is what jumped out at me at bass pro shops.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90325____SearchResults

that would be for lighter tackle fish calicos stripers flounder etc...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10204690____SearchResults

I would get the 7/6 mh rod for cobia stripers tarpon etc...
I would also get a trolling/jigging rod to. My dad and I are on budget so can not get really expensive rods and reels. If you have any sugestions on reels I would greatly appreciate it . (here is what I am looking at) http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103386_151001000_151000000_151001000_151-1-0

Thanks,
Bass 4 me[/url]
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does no one on this board fish salt Question Question
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casting jigging I use
Star rods Stellar lite jigging specials for everything from fluke to light tuna. The rods are pricey but by far the best sticks I have ever used. That includes Sea bass, Blackfish, blues, stripers.
Reels are either a satltist 20 or International 955 or 965

For spinning rods depedning on usage
Plugging- 7ft Shimano Terrmar (M action)with Stradic 5000
Live bait- Star rod Med heavy 7ft W/ Shimano baitrunner 4500
Heavy duty-Star rod 7ft meat stick w/Shimano Stradic 8000

I have a ton of rods that are collecting dust on my walls. I have my favorites and those are them.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like uglysticks, they are heavy and they all feel like limp noodles. Casting is inaccurate and it can be hard to feel for subtle bites like when jigging. I use braided line and I like being able to feel my weight drifting along the bottom through the rod blank as with a high modulus graphite rod. They do last a long time thought and my brother swears by them as do many people. ALSO that reel in the combo has about a half spool of backplay, something I can't stand.. it makes it feel super cheap and interferes with hooksets etc.

I have an older 4000 series Captiva that is still pretty smooth, I don't use it much because I have big fingers and sometimes get nicked by the oversized bail. Keep in my I am a mainly shore guy but those are my experience with those products. ON a tight budget you will find lots of deals at local sporting goods stores like dicks & sports authority. I have bought $120 rods for as cheap as $25 on clearance more than once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: