CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 05/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 05/14 Reply with quote

I got to Batterson around 9:30 AM. I've been relying pretty heavily on wacky-rigged five-inch watermelon Yum worms so far this year, so I decided to fish only other lures for a while. I explored the deeper area to the right of the boat launch facing out (i.e., the southeast corner) and didn't get a nibble. I used a shad rap and a soft plastic Storm bluegill, and worked my way around the corner and north about 200 yards. Nada. After a few casts into the center of the corner area of the pond, I paddled across to the western shore (i.e., to the left of the boat launch facing out). I also tried swirly tail plastic jigs and a swirly tail plastic worm, but got nothing as I worked my way around the first corner. After an hour and a half of absolutely nothing, I pulled out the wacky-rigged worm and on the fourth or fifth cast caught a 16-inch, 1 lb. 11 oz. largemouth bass. I've decided that the bass in Batterson are lazy and just want to eat their food off the bottom. They were totally uninterested in every swimming lure I tried.

I ended up catching four largemouth bass:

16-inch, 1 lb. 11 oz.
9-inch
15-inch, 1 lb. 11 oz.
14-inch, 1 lb. 6 oz.

The 16-incher and 9-incher were caught on five-inch watermelon Yum worms. The 15-incher and 14-incher were caught on red and black four-inch Cabela's garlic-impregnated glowing worms, because I ran out of the five-inch worms. The last two fish also showed some signs of predation. The 15-incher had red marks on both sides of its body and the 14-incher had some older marks on one side. Are there pickerel or pike in the pond?

If anyone has luck at Batterson with any other lure/technique, please let me know. I'd love to try something else that works.

Last edited by PECo on Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 16" bass weighs approximately 3lbs. in just about any body of water in CT.

Are your weights just estimates, or do you need a new scale? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always evaluated my largemouth bass by length, but everyone else seems to go by weight, so I just got one of those Berkley digital scales from Walmart. I checked it on some dumbbells and it appears to be fairly accurate. Maybe I'm just catching all the skinny fish. I already had a Lipper Push Button Fish Gripper that has a certifiable spring scale on it, but I don't trust the scale. I got it because I got tired of cutting my fingers on chain pickerel teeth and needed something with which to hold them.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres pike in there. Someone got one that was like 37 inches out of there. Also the bite marks can be from the 30 plus inch walleyes that are in there... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: