CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Drop Shot Combo Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Drop Shot Combo Recommendations Reply with quote

The rod that I use for DSing is an 16 year old Diawa Heartlands 2 piece 6' (used to be a 6.6' until I rolled my window up on it Sad ) med action pole whith a really old Abu reel. The drag on the reel is shot. I realized it when I caught a 1.55lb smallie this weekend and it was taking drag with the drag set to the highest setting Rolling Eyes .

That was one of my first combo's and as much as I don't want to retire it but I have to.

So, any suggestions on a combo that won't break the bank? I would like to keep the cost under 150 or less. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,

Justin

Justin
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old Berkley Lightning rod, 7 foot, Medium action, with 8lb. flourocarbon on an old Okuma spinning reel. Never had any issues with it, but never caught anything bigger than 3lbs. on it either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin
I also use a one piece, 7ft Berkley Lightning rod in medium action, paired up with a Shimano Sahara 4000 and spooled with Cabelas 6lb flourocarbon.

I live right next door to you in Rocky Hill, so this is what I have done. Go to one of the two Walmarts that are close to us and get the Lightning rod there. Don't settle for anything but the 7ft, one piece in medium action. If you can't find it there, go to the Walmart in Cromwell or Manchester or, order online if you have to. This rod is a gem for the cost, which is between $36-$39 bucks.
Shoot across the river and hit Cabelas for the Shimano Sahara in the 4000 version. This is the largest reel in the series and the spool holds the largest amount of line, the importance of which I explain later. Also, front drag only, none of that rear drag crap. The reel also comes with a spare spool which I have 10lb fireline on that comes in handy for throwing in and around the lilly pads, weeds and wood at the Wethersfield Res. If you can't get the Sahara, make sure the reel you get has zero anti-reverse. Once you close the bail on a dropshot, you want to make sure that there is no back play on the reel as you become tuned in to the line and lure. I can't express the importance of this: make sure you take the reel out of the box and mess with it before buying it.
Grab a large spool of the Cabelas 6lb flourocarbon which costs about $22. There are two sizes of spools there and for the cost, the larger spool will give you the ability to change line when needed.
Pick up a pack of the Gamakatsu dropshot hooks or, if they don't have them, try the octopus hooks. Either one has served me well. They also come in a bonus size package of 30 or something like that, but you have to search for them.
On your way home stop at Dicks and get a spool of 10 lb Cajun red line and a bottle of KVD line conditioner.
What I do is put the Cajun red line on first and fill the spool about a 1/4 full. Then using a line to line knot, attach the 6lb flouro the the red line. This gives you the ability to see when the flouro is starting to get low, which it does considering how much line you strip off when retiring a dropshot rig. Fill the rest of the spool with the flouro until it is near 3/4 full. Don't fill it to the top as flouro LOVES to coil and spring off the spool. This is where the 4000 series allows you to hold more line of both types.
To help get rid of the coiling/springing affect of flourocabon, after the spool is full, take the whole shabang outside. Tie the flouro to your car door, sock down the drag to its tightest setting, open the bail and walk off about 50 to 75 yards of line. When you have reached that point, close the bail and walk backwards slowly, tugging on the line. Go a few more feet and repeat. This will help to stretch out the line, thus eliminating some to most of the coilling effect. I will usually pull back until the line breaks. You'll be surprised just how tough this line is to pop. When reeling the line back in, hold it between your fingers and put some tension back on it. When you are done, loosen the drag back to where it should be for dropshotting. Don't forget to loosen the drag!
Finally, spray the line and spool liberally with the line conditioner and let it saturate in over night.

I'm in the same boat as you, small kids at home, limited funding, but for the budget you stated, this setup should cover you well. I've had the opportunity to dropshot beside wiser and better equipped fisherman than myself and this setup has always kept me in the game.
Mark
Rippin' Hawgs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: reel Reply with quote

i have 7' quantum pt energys and flueger supreme reels with 8 pound floro. its a great set up for under 250 dollars.
RayC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using a Shimano Crucial dropshot rod paired with a Shimano Biomaster 2500 spinning reels spooled with 6lb Seaguar Invis-X.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a g loomis 822 I believe dropshot rod and also a shimano crucial. I use the crucial DS rod for shallower water and the g loomis for the deeper ones. Daiwa capricorn 2000 on the shmano crucial and cabelas prodigy 2500 on the g loomis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: