CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 05/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 05/26 Reply with quote

I hit Spring Pond with my father-in-law this morning. He sprang for the $55 non-resident annual license yesterday, so we need to do some fishing here in CT. He and I each had a kayak and, for only the second time, there was another boat on the water with us. It was DV in his canoe. I've never seen so much fishing gear on a paddle boat; five rods, a fish finder and more tackle than I've ever bought. It was sunny and hot. Once again, I found myself wishing for a rainy or even an overcast day.

I caught five largemouth bass; 10, 13, 16, 14 and 12 inches. The 16-incher was only 1 lb 14 oz. Yes, they were all caught on wacky-rigged five-inch Yum watermelon/red flake worms/stick baits. I'm officially a soft stick-bait addict; I can't shake the habit. My father-in-law caught only two black crappie/calico bass/papermouth bass. I gotta figure out what he's doing wrong.

I think the bass are starting to get more active, while the carp are finally starting to slow down. I caught the 16-incher after I jerked my lure free of some weeds and paused my retrieve. I hooked another 14 or so incher next to a weed bed in the center of the pond on a twitchy slow retrieve, although I lost it at the kayak.

We had to leave at noon to feed my mother-in-law. I don't know how DV did after we left (DV?), but he saved my father-in-law's dropped cell phone.

Thanks, DV, we'll see you in the morning tomorrow.

Last edited by PECo on Thu May 27, 2010 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
DV

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did okay I only fished for another hour or so after you left, the sun scorched my skin . I got a 17" on a smoke/watermelon tube above some rocks and a 15" jerking and pausing a spro frog through some thick weeds. Tried to fish the area near the launch but the white floating stuff getting all over my lines angered me and I decided to call it quits. Checked out a local pond called Broadbook Millpond after the heat died down and saw some lunkers in the shallows. Sadly I spooked em all by paddling standing up but I now know their hide outs for next time.

Tomorrow I will be taking back roads, idk how you 9-5 people do it that traffic on 91/84 is mind blowing.
Phish

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo,

Try using some of the bigger sizes if you're wanting to target bigger bass. It will cut down on the frequency of catches, but will weed out some of the smaller fish. However, the little guys will still hit the big ones from time to time. Personally, some days I could care less about size and just have fun catching them; but I've see some monsters caught in deeper water caught on the really big senkos. I've had a lot of luck with the 6 inch (9L series) ones myself and caught a 5 pounder on the 7 inch (9X). You'll want to move up to a 4/0 - 5/0 offset hook with the bigger ones. I use a 3/0 hook with the 5 inch (unless I'm wacky rigged). Senko's are a money bait.

Jed
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am addicted to those senko's too but the hula grub i can almost catch anything on everytime i go out. Pickeral, perch, Bass, and sun fish.

This thing is definitely money

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/Chomp-Grub.jpg

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Senkos Reply with quote

Jed - Thanks for the advice. I've never had the nerve to buy bigger than a five-inch senko. The thought of throwing a larger bait seemed, what's the word, presumptious, maybe? Silly, I know, but I've just gotten over it and will definitely give the larger bait a shot.

Anointed130 - I've tried brush hogs, but never hula grubs. I'll let you know if I pick some up. I think senkos still have some legs with me right now.

Last edited by PECo on Thu May 27, 2010 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil you should try fishing with a jig'n'pig sometime also. They are known for calling up the hogs when most everything else is catching the cookie cutters. Is definitely a different technique but something that is worth having in your arsenal.

Jim
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be surprised. I've caught fish smaller than the 7 incher using the 7 incher. I caught a two pounder on a Tru Tungsten inch hard swimbait. Catch small fish every once in a while on 10" worms too. So it won't totally shut you off on fish, I promise...but it will increase your chance of getting the bigger fish to bite. With the 4 and 5", the little ones are going to win the race. With the bigger baits, they may pause first (mildly spooked) and allow the big girls to take a shot. Go for it!!!
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be surprised. I've caught fish smaller than the 7 incher using the 7 incher. I caught a two pounder on a Tru Tungsten 7 inch hard swimbait. Catch small fish every once in a while on 10" worms too. So it won't totally shut you off on fish, I promise...but it will increase your chance of getting the bigger fish to bite. With the 4 and 5", the little ones are going to win the race. With the bigger baits, they may pause first (mildly spooked) and allow the big girls to take a shot. Go for it!!!

Last edited by Phish on Thu May 27, 2010 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread.

Justin
pepperdawg

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV wrote:
Checked out a local pond called Broadbook Millpond after the heat died down and saw some lunkers in the shallows. Sadly I spooked em all by paddling standing up but I now know their hide outs for next time.

POst up a TR - curious about the Millpond. Thx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: