CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 05/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 05/27 Reply with quote

After my in-laws left and I had lunch, I ran over to Batterson at 3:00 PM to see whether I could catch up to DV. But he failed to show. His loss, I guess. I had only two hours before I had to go schlep my son to his karate class, so I didn't waste any time.

Over the sound of the latin music blaring from the stereo of the car parked in the driveway next to the boat launch, I launched my kayak and headed to the southeast corner (to the right), to speak with a guy fishing from a sweeeet little pedal-powered Hobie kayak. He said he had caught a couple of largemouth bass and when I asked, "On this side of the pond?" he said, "No, over on the west side." He just couldn't resist the urge to check out the "dead" corner of the pond, in which neither of us, apparently, has ever had any luck.

I headed over to the west side about 100 yards from the south end. On my first cast of the wacky-rigged five-inch watermelon/red flake senko that had last caught the 3 lb largemouth bass in Spring Pond at noon, I caught a 16 inch, 1 lb 12 oz bass. Yes! As I worked my way along the west shore with, for once, a nice southerly breeze, I caught four more bass. Here's everything I got:

16 inch, 1 lb 12 oz
15 inch, 1 lb 5 oz
16 inch, 1 lb 12 oz
14 inch, 1 lb
18 inch, 2 lb 5 oz

I lost one more fish that tore off with my senko after 20 feet, but the speed at which it was moving makes me suspect it was a pickerel and not a bass.

On my way back to the boat launch, I saw a couple of guys fishing from a dinghy with a small, maybe 5-horse, engine. I stopped by to ask how they were doing. When I told them I had caught five bass from 14 to 18 inches, they asked how I did it. I showed them how to rig a wacky senko and told them how to fish it. I even gave them half a bag of senkos so they could try it out. Then I told them that engines aren't allowed on Batterson. They said they didn't know and could take the engine off the boat. I told them to just not start it up and use their oars to row the boat. They said thanks for the info.

After I loaded my kayak into my car, I walked down to check the bulletin board next to the boat ramp to make sure that the "No Engines" rule is posted and, sure enough, it is. Then I looked over at the dinghy and, surprise, I saw that they had fired up their engine.

On my way out of the park, I called the DEP's TIP Hotline and was told that officers would be notified. Hey, I tried my best to not be an asshole about following the rules!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo good for you.

You went above and beyond as a fellow fisherman. I mean you gave them tips on how to fish the senko, and even game them some to try.

It's guys like that that give true fishermen a bad name. I bet those are the type of guys who would throw cut fishing line out of the boat and into the water.

They should be following the rules .. Plain and simple.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to spread the love, Man. Always great to help other people's enjoyment out there on the water. Yeah, all of my luck has come from the west side in terms of size. The weeds get nice and matted in that dead corner later in june and it's fun to frog and flip over there through and on the mats. I've caught a couple cookie cutters over there. The west side is where it's at. I know they spawn over there because I floated through about 20 beds in June a couple of years ago.

Those Hobie's are awesome. I'll have to get one of those some day so I can start going back to the small waters with a little more control than I get in my inflatable kayak. Glad you had a great day at Batterson!

by the way, I've had great luck on topwater (walking baits - my favorite is the Reaction Innovations Vixen) over on that West Side in the evenings. It darkens up pretty nice in those little coves and Ive had them smack them right when they hit the water a few times over there.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Looking ahead for topwater lures Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation, Jed. So far, I've been auditioning Yum frogs on a light swimming jig for fishing over the mid-Summer weeds. They look good to me and are almost totally weedless, but the only hit I've had so far was from an ambitious rock bass.

I'll check out the Vixen, some poppers and that jig 'n pig thing. I won't be able to fish for the next four days, so I'll have a lot of time to read all about it online.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey peco nice report, wish I would had gone to Battersons now. I realized I had forgotten my lunch and water at home when I loaded the canoe on my car at spring, had to change my plans. And oh yeah I still have your doctor issue Swiss army knife haha, I'll have to get that back to ya.

I really can't believe after you pleasantly informed them of the rules and even gave them some of your baits they STILL used the motor. Normally I don't like being the guy to call the DEP but they were just being plain stupid and rude.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Hey, TurtleKiss! Reply with quote

DV finally told me how to post images. Here's the 18-inch, 2 lb 5 oz largemouth bass I caught in your favorite pond on Thursday!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Post PeCo! and Agree...
We all fish that place, and we all leave the Merc's home when we go to those places . I hope those boys got tickets.

you had the best day Ive heard of on Batterson.

As far as those frogs... stick with em!!!! When the time is right, they are a TOTAL blast!!!!
DV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish they Peco, glad you got around to posting up photos.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil. As bad as you felt calling the DEP, those are the kind of people that need a little re-education on rules and regulations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: