CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 06/05
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 06/05 Reply with quote

I ran over to Batterson to test out a couple of Rapalas I bought at Dick's today. I got there at about 10:30 PM. There were a few cars parked next to the water and teenagers sitting on the boulders next to the launch ramp. They were quiet. I think they were all playing with their personal electronic devices.

My plan was to paddle straight north from the ramp to the deeper water. I think the deepest area lies along the eastern shore and the depth is about 18 feet. The breeze was out of the south and it felt fairly calm. I threw two different kinds of Rapalas. I can't remember the model numbers, but they're both shallow diving. I didn't get a nibble.

After I was on the water for about 15 minutes, the tops of the trees started rustling and I started to feel light gusts of wind, so I paddled over to the first corner on the western shore to get out of the wind.

I got a little creeped out in the dark yesterday, but at least I knew Derek and Kira were also out on the water. Well, tonight I was all alone. All by myself. Me, myself and I. The teeneagers left, so my car was even the only one in the lot. I was a lot more creeped out tonight.

I ended up catching only two little rock bass when I inadvertently got a little too close to the shore over the rocks. I headed in and got off the water by midnight.

The moral of the story tonight is that, like a lot of you, I really need a bigger boat!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Batterson Park Pond 06/05 Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I ran over to Batterson to test out a couple of Rapalas I bought at Dick's today. I got there at about 10:30 PM. There were a few cars parked next to the water and teenagers sitting on the boulders next to the launch ramp. They were quiet. I think they were all playing with their personal electronic devices.

My plan was to paddle straight north from the ramp to the deeper water. I think the deepest area lies along the eastern shore and the depth is about 18 feet. The breeze was out of the south and it felt fairly calm. I threw two different kinds of Rapalas. I can't remember the model numbers, but they're both shallow diving. I didn't get a nibble.

After I was on the water for about 15 minutes, the tops of the trees started rustling and I started to feel light gusts of wind, so I paddled over to the first corner on the western shore to get out of the wind.

I got a little creeped out in the dark yesterday, but at least I knew Derek and Kira were also out on the water. Well, tonight I was all alone. All by myself. Me, myself and I. The teeneagers left, so my car was even the only one in the lot. I was a lot more creeped out tonight.

I ended up catching only two little rock bass when I inadvertently got a little too close to the shore over the rocks. I headed in and got off the water by midnight.

The moral of the story tonight is that, like a lot of you, I really need a bigger boat!

The creepiness of fishing alone at night doesn't bother me at all anymore. If you're on the water (upright) the worst things that can happen are lightning, sinking, and being murdered at the launch. It's the launch area scenario that's most likely so I usually just keep fishing until the sun comes up. Always anchor in the wind or you'll get disoriented easily if you've got a line out. That beach area is a great spot to dock...I was walking parallel to the shoreline and had to step around beds! 1 1/2 hours? Why bother? I'm shutting off my computer...there's big storm in my area.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira

My little plastic kayak is a lot less hassle to launch and recover than Dinghbat. I knew that wind and storms were in the forecast, so I got on the water while the gettin' was good.

I was creeped out, but I'd do it again! Shocked However, I'm pushing a little harder for a bigger boat now.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Kira

My little plastic kayak is a lot less hassle to launch and recover than Dinghbat. I knew that wind and storms were in the forecast, so I got on the water while the gettin' was good.

I was creeped out, but I'd do it again! Shocked However, I'm pushing a little harder for a bigger boat now.

Phil

Just buy one and accept the punishment. It's nothing to get divorced over. LOL
Yeah, I noticed that your kayaks were pretty fast compared to that heavy fiberglass tub I've got.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira I'm not sure if you saw but I can paddle faster with my hands than you can row your box boat LOL.

And I agree the only thing I don't like about fishing about night is the launch areas, since my boat takes an awfully long time to launch and pack up. At my fastest it would still be about 15minutes, enough time to either get shot by thugs or eaten by rabbid animals. joking ofcourse, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV wrote:
Kira I'm not sure if you saw but I can paddle faster with my hands than you can row your box boat LOL.

And I agree the only thing I don't like about fishing about night is the launch areas, since my boat takes an awfully long time to launch and pack up. At my fastest it would still be about 15minutes, enough time to either get shot by thugs or eaten by rabbid animals. joking ofcourse, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling.

Yeah, my boat isn't very streamlined. It's not meant to have a swivel seat mounted in the middle. If I need to row, either the oars or my hands get pinched by the seat. They've basically been used as lure retrieval tools since I put the motor on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: