CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stillwater Pond 06/15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Stillwater Pond 06/15 Reply with quote

Since I was unable to check out the north end and western shore of Stillwater Pond yesterday, you know I'd be back as soon as I could. And I could today, from 9:45 AM to 2:45 PM.

When I got to the boat launch ramp, there was a guy bailing out a small aluminum rowboat on a trailer. I didn't think much of it as I went to park my car. I assumed he had just come in and had a leaky boat. When I walked out to the ramp, I could see that he was wet. Totally wet. It turns out that he had flipped his little boat while checking it out for the first time. He bought it a while ago to fish smaller ponds and rigged it up with a trolling motor and battery. The problem was that he forgot he wasn't on his bass boat and leaned over the side a little too far! He had a good sense of humor. He said that at least he got a good story out of it. I thought of you, RobO! LOL!

As usual, I fished from my kayak fairly close in to the shore and threw wacky Senkos and Dingers at it. The wind was out of the north and a little stronger than I like. My first thought was to paddle all the way to the north end and work my way back down the western shore with the wind. However, the first part of the shoreline to the north of the ramp was just slightly alee of the wind, so I ended up working my way north against the wind.

While I didn't catch as many fish as I did yesterday, I felt better about the ones I caught. I ended up with a little yellow perch, four rock bass and four largemouth bass. Here are all of the largemouth bass that I caught:

14 inches, 1 lb
18 inches, 2 lbs 5 oz
13 inches
14 inches, 1 lb

I finally broke the two pound mark! Whoo hoo!

About three-quarters of the way up the western shore, I spooked and then paddled over a school of carp. They weren't huge, maybe two feet long, but there were eight to ten of them.

When it gets shallower at about the northernmost fifth of the pond, the largemouth bass seem to disappear. I caught the last 14-incher near the mouth of the short little "river" that empties into the northwest corner of the pond. I was thrilled to catch it on the first cast after I caught the fourth rock bass. I wasn't too happy about catching more rock bass than largemouth bass!

I caught the little yellow perch on my way back to the ramp on a tiny little Rapala that I was trolling behind my kayak. I would have spent some time fishing for trout, but had to get home. The trout we had for dinner yesterday was absolutely delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish! Good report too.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

It's no cod, but it made my day. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao...that's all that matters is that you had a good day of fishing. You need to give me some pointers on taking those self portraits with the fish. You are getting good at it. I always seem to turn the fish to the side and take pictures of the top of their head...lol...you should teach a class on it.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

The secret to my self-portraits is that I use my VGA (i.e., 640 x 480) resolution cellphone camera to take them. There's a tiny convex self-portrait mirror over the lens. The beauty of using such a low resolution camera is that I don't have to re-size the photos before posting them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, another great report. I fished there once and did like you on the first trip, south end then the eastern shoreline, only to see all the wood on the western shoreline when the trip was close to over. Never did make it back.
DV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Phil
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkO

Even though there's a lot of wood on the western shore, there aren't a lot of weeds underneath. It can be hard to see when you're sitting so close to the surface in a kayak, but the water looked pretty clear down to at least five or six feet.

I hooked the two pounder directly underneath an overhanging birch/aspen-type tree. I think largemouth bass like to hold underneath overhanging trees when there isn't a lot of weed cover on a shoreline.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil. Congrats on breaking the big 2!! Wink Very Happy Now it's time to work on the 3!

Jim
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always, Jim, but 3? I'm hoping for 5! Or now that I've seen Pete's post, maybe 7!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can DOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTT! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: