CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT River Pike 6/19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: CT River Pike 6/19 Reply with quote

Launched out of Haddam Meadows at 5:30am during the peak of high tide. I was going for pike, but next time I come down here I am going to start the morning trying for carp. I have never seen so many big carp in one area before. There was a consistent surface break by 20lb fish all morning! I thought they were leftover stripers at first.

We fished the west bank downstream from the launch and inside the mouth of Salmon Cove. I was trying to stay in 10'-12' of water and cast towards shore. Used mainly large inline spinner (untill Mr Pike decided to take it home) and spinnerbaits. We were also towing 6"-8" yellow perch on top and near bottom with no takers. I think when the pike have enough time to check out the bait, they can see the wire leader. I can catch them on lures w/ a leader, and bait without a leader, but as soon as I put bait+leader=no fish.

Caught the only one I got into the boat early on a weed flat in front of a feeder stream. It was only 26"-28" but got the skunk out of the boat. Unfortunately, it was swing and miss the rest of the day. Had many bites and even watched a few hit my lure. Lost my favorite pike spinner to a bigger fish that exploded out of the water on the hit and cut my line instantly. I didn't think I would need a leader since the lure is long and made of wire and I have caught pike on it before. I won't make that mistake again.

All in all it was a good trip for the first time at this location. Boated 1 and saw enough action to make me come back. Nice scenery as well - not much development along shore other than marinas. I will say yakers beware! The amount of large boat trafic made for a hairy ride back in my 14 fiberglass tri-hull so be carefull. There is a lot of traffic on the weekends and these boats are big with wakes to match.

Any bass guys out there that haven't tried pike fishing should give it a try. It's very similar just with larger baits for larger fish and a faster heart rate when you hook up. But the best kind of fish is the one at the end of your line.

Special Thanks to Capt Blaine Anderson at CT Outfitters for the tips!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: