CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stillwater Pond 06/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Stillwater Pond 06/14 Reply with quote

I fished Stillwater Pond today from 8:30 AM to 2:45 PM. Thanks to SeaDog1 for suggesting it to me. As usual, I fished from my kayak and threw wacky Senkos and Dingers. There was a light wind out of the north all day. It was my first time on the pond and I wanted to check out the dam/spillway, so I worked my way counter-clockwise around it from the boat launch ramp. I went very slowly and didn't even make it to north end or the western shore of the pond.

The dropoff to deeper water from the little bit of the western shore just to the south of the ramp and the dam/spillway is very, very gradual. The eastern shore drops off more quickly and is deeper. I stayed pretty tight to the shoreline and pitched my lure toward any cover I saw. There were beds of lilies and some dead wood along the shore. I did better in deeper water than shallow.

Although I got a lot of action, I didn't catch anything big. I think I'll try jigging or drop-shotting the next time I'm out there. I caught a couple of rock bass on the eastern shore and 13 largemouth bass. Here are all of the largemouth bass that I caught in the order I caught them as I worked my way around the shore:

15 inches, 1 lb 6 oz @ the first tree overhanging the water south of the ramp
11 inches
12 inches
12 inches
14 inches, 1 lb 2 oz @ the front of the dam/spillway
11 inches
12 inches
14 inches, 1 lb 1 oz
13 inches
15 inches, 1 lb 5 oz
12 inches
15 inches, 1 lb 1 oz @ a little past halfway up the eastern shore where a little creek trickles into the pond

That last largemouth bass was really skinny!

After I got halfway up the eastern shore, I started to fish a little faster because I wanted to see more of the pond before I had to go. As I got closer to the north end, there was a lot more cover, mostly lilies, and some beds of cover toward the middle of the pond. It became shallower all the way across the pond.

When I began considering heading back from the northern end of the eastern shore, I rigged up a shallow-diving Rapala to troll on my way to the ramp. Before I started in, I threw it a few times and was surprised to see a couple of decent sized trout (i.e., over 15 inches or so) following it up to the boat. After several casts, I hooked and landed a 16 inch, 1 lb 8 oz brownie.

I paddled back to the ramp with a couple of shallow-diving Rapalas in tow, but didn't get any more bites. I did, however, come home with a nice trout for dinner. Yum!

Last edited by PECo on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
MarkO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report...thanks for taking the time.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job out there! Ending the day with a trout dinner is a nice bonus too.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil I am soooo enviuos of you being able to fish every damn day while I get tortured in work. I have Mondays off as I have the option of working a 4 day work week. Let's hook up sometime, I'll bring my Hobie. Eventually we can go in my Skeeter somewhere where you can STAND and fish all day. Very Happy

Jim
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: I'd love to! Reply with quote

SkeeterJim

Hey, maybe we could check out the north end of Bantam Lake in our kayaks on a Monday. I just have to figure out where I can legally park my car. I don't know about those Hobies, but when the wind gets over 8 mph or so, I can't really fish from my kayak, so we'd have to catch a calm day.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Sounds good. Let me know when you find a legitimate parking spot there at Bantam cause I'd really hate to go back to my truck with a ticket on the windshield after a day of fishing.

Jim
colburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey PECo as long as you aren't on a road that says no parking you can park wherever you want on the road. as long as you are on the correct side. the first 6 to 8 ft (depending on the town) is considered town/state property. just don't be too big of a dick and find a tree or bush to park near
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: