CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Offshore Reports
Viewing Topic: Sharking report 6/14 and 6/15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlynewlondon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Sharking report 6/14 and 6/15 Reply with quote

Thought I'd be the first one here to post an actual report, hope some more people follow.

Carly 2 fished with a crew of 6 for the 21st Star Island Yatch Club Shark Tournament. Got to Montalk Yatch club at 6PM Thursday after going through some sporty conditions through Block Island sound.

I had never fished a tourney and was pretty excited and let the moment get the better of me and had a few too many cocktails that evening which made for an intersting wake up Friday morning. The shot gun start was something. Having not done it before I was back in the pack some. With the hangover and easterly blowing I was wishing I was somewhere else. we ended up fishing the 30 fathom curve 60 miles SSW from the point, did a 11 mile drift for the day. Had the same results as many others covered up all day with blue dogs, too many to count. We didn't have anything to hang so we played with them until late and trolled for BFT on the way in for an hour without a knockdown.

Day 2 shotgun start was a different story I was a bit more responsive to my surroundings. Since I didn't want to push the new boat too hard I wasn't in front but we did make it out to the 30 fathom line 48 miles from the point in short order. As we were setting the first line it got hit right away before the chum was in the water. The second hit didn't come for almost an hour, we were starting to question our location when Van Halen, Running With The Devil, came on the sat radio. I commented how sharks LOVE VH, cranked up the tunes, and 30 seconds later 2 rods go off and we were covered up on blue dogs for the rest of the day. Too many to count again. Got some great video of them coming up to harass the chum bucket and trying to eat out bluefish racks haning off the transom.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been able to get out yet this year, being covered up in blue dogs gets old pretty quick. What were the weights of the winning fish this year?
carlynewlondon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winners

Heaviest overall....374 thresher... 3Gs
Second Heaviest......373 Mako .......F.I.S.H.
Third Heaviest......359 thresher.... Tuna Tangler

Third heviest Thresher.... 200,,,, Pices III

Heviest Blue...........274......Lucia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some nice fish caught. Did you see any life down where you were?
carlynewlondon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had birds in the slick all day and a couple mola mola drove by. On day one had a pod of a dozen dolphin say hello. Of course the main life was the dozens of sharks at our transom.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to post the video?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see video!!!

Just one more cast...
flukeprodigy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in for the vid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Offshore Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: