CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 06/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 06/26 Reply with quote

My in-laws drove up from NJ today, because my daughter tested for her black belt in kempo karate this afternoon (she got it!). My father-in-law brought one of his kayaks, so we fished Spring Pond from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM.

10 minutes after we got on the water, my father-in-law caught an 18 inch largemouth bass on a 4 inch wacky-rigged pumpkin Senko in the southwest corner of the pond. Unfortunately, he hooked his thumb right after he removed the hook from the bass and then dropped the bass back into the pond before I could weigh it. It was a real fatty and looked to me to be close to 3-pounds.

My father-in-law continued to fish up the western shore and I fished up the eastern shore. I didn't get anything until I hooked a 12 or 13 inch largemouth bass off the northeastern side of the southern island. It pulled my kayak a couple of feet before it spit the hook. I found out later that my father-in-law also lost a couple of largemouth bass on the opposite, southwestern side of the island at about the same time.

The fishing was pretty slow for both of us until we reached the north end of the pond. I finally landed a 17 inch, 1 lb 12 oz largemouth bass out of the water hyacinths on the north end of the eastern shore on a wacky-rigged 5 inch watermelon/red flake Dinger. A short while later, my father-in-law landed another 18 inch largemouth bass on the western side of the north shore on a Texas-rigged 4 inch pumpkin Senko.

I paddled over to take a photo and weigh the bass, and at this point, we had a run of slightly bad luck. I had brought my son's digital camera with me and, while it had enough power to take a decent photo, it died before saving it. Great! Then, my father-in-law discovered that the bass had swallowed the hook. I handed him my forceps so he could remove it. He was having some trouble grabbing the hook, so I held the top of his fishing rod and bent it over to give him some slack in the line, and "Snap!", the top third of the rod broke right off. Oops! After I weighed the bass, which was 2 lbs 2 oz, my cellphone rang. It was my wife, telling us to stop fishing and head over to the dojo for my daughter's black belt ceremony. The test had ended an hour earlier than we had expected, so we had to stop fishing just after the bite had started to pick up. You gotta be kidding me!

Oh, well, I guess we'll just have to hit Bantam River in the morning!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peco,I'm new to the forum.The only Spring pond that I know of is a cement swimming area in SW. Is there another pond behind it suited for canoes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: